Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Aluminum Expansion Tank Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lindsey Aluminum Expansion Tank Install Question

For anyone that has installed the aluminum coolant expansion tank from Lindsey Racing ...

How do you avoid kinking the lower hose (to the hard-pipe and electric water pump) from the expansion tank? The position and angle of the lower hose adapter is causing my lower factory hose to kink/pinch closed at the hard-pipe. Any suggestions to correct it?

edit: Dave is helping me out, but if anyone else has suggestions let me know. Uploaded pictures of the issue.

Last edited by CurlyDE; 08-24-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Pictures attached.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Pictures of the kink ... any suggestions to correct? The last picture was taken using the plastic factory tank. I have tried positioning the lower port/adapter on the tank in different positions with no luck. I have also tried repositioning the hard water pipe (that runs across the front of the engine) to create less of a kink ... again, no luck.

This image is using the factory tank (hose not kinked) ...
Old 09-05-2019, 04:36 PM
darenchu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find a work-around? I have an 88 Turbo S with the same problem. The bottom (Front) nipple pushes into the j-boot and does not line up with the hard-pipe at all. I also tried emailing Lindsey racing to no response lol.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darenchu
Did you ever find a work-around? I have an 88 Turbo S with the same problem. The bottom (Front) nipple pushes into the j-boot and does not line up with the hard-pipe at all. I also tried emailing Lindsey racing to no response lol.
I ended up having a local shop modify the hard-pipe. I don't have a picture of the pipe before it was installed. I also do not recall if I used an earlier or later hard-pipe. I had one from my '86 and one from a later car. I seem to recall that there was some slight difference between the two parts (could be mistaken though). Below is a picture of it installed. It has been working great since 2011.

*edit* The local shop specialized in custom hoses and plumbing type fittings (focused on machinery).

Old 09-10-2019, 12:43 PM
darenchu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurlyDE
I ended up having a local shop modify the hard-pipe. I don't have a picture of the pipe before it was installed. I also do not recall if I used an earlier or later hard-pipe. I had one from my '86 and one from a later car. I seem to recall that there was some slight difference between the two parts (could be mistaken though). Below is a picture of it installed. It has been working great since 2011.

*edit* The local shop specialized in custom hoses and plumbing type fittings (focused on machinery).

Ohhh misery

I guess that's the route I'll have to take as well. It is quite unfortunate that this part is advertised as bolt-in lol. Although, I may have a machine shop plug the existing hole and re-tap the tank in a more fitting location instead of modifying the hard pipe. I'll be back with updates!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Only in the 944 turbo world this type of incompetence be acceptable. Sure, step all over me because your the only option.
If it was me. I would stick with plastic. Whats wrong with a little yellow film?
Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Only in the 944 turbo world this type of incompetence be acceptable. Sure, step all over me because your the only option.
If it was me. I would stick with plastic. Whats wrong with a little yellow film?

this is so damn spot on..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM
darenchu
Rennlist Member

seriously. +1

for anyone reading this: I would not recommend the lindsey racing aluminum expansion tank over a new plastic tank.

advertised as:
-bolt-on (It doesn't.)
-1" shorter (it's not. tbh I made measurements and it in some areas its almost 2" larger than stock)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
darenchu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darenchu
seriously. +1

for anyone reading this: I would not recommend the lindsey racing aluminum expansion tank over a new plastic tank.

advertised as:
-bolt-on (It doesn't.)
-1" shorter (it's not. tbh I made measurements and it in some areas its almost 2" larger than stock)

Old 09-11-2019, 08:46 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

and billet... billet is not welded..

Quick Reply: Lindsey Aluminum Expansion Tank Install Question