Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't shift into 2nd & 4th

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't shift into 2nd & 4th

I drove my 951 to work this week and was stuck in stop-n-creep traffic for 2+ hours on my way home(35 mile trip). After I cleared the traffic, I started to have trouble getting the car into 2nd and 4th. The problem continued to get worse and now I can't get the car into 2nd or 4th without using both hands. I tried taking it for a spin this afternoon and getting the transaxle warmed up then trying to use 2nd and 4th with no luck.

The car sat for a year before I started taking it for little cruises around the block over the past 3 weeks. The trip to work when the problem revealed itself was the first time the car was on the highway or driven for more than 10 miles at once in over a year. The car has short shift linkage installed by the previous owner and a SFR short lever that is extremely short.

Will I be able to determine anything by simply taking the short shift linkage out and inspecting it? Should I get the factory linkage to swap in and test? TIA
Old 08-20-2011, 06:59 PM
supes6
Racer

definitely sounds like a linkage problem to me..
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Make sure the set screws, or "bolts" rather are tight. I have had this happen where the bolts that lock the linkage in place have come loose. Go under and check all the bolts on the linkage with a wrench.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its really a two man job to properly check the linkeage and joints. Have someone up top moving the shifter, while someone underneath checks what's happening.

Had a similar incident at a race recently. Lost 2nd gear initially and then 2 plus 4. The nylon block of the universal had broken apart.

Make sure the linkage is intact and working correctly before going any further.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

I have a spherical bearing instead of a nylon bushing.

The lever is 90* fore and aft when in neutral vs. the 85* Clark's Garage suggests. I'm trying to adjust it, but I cannot get the pin for the shift lever out of the rod. I even broke a screwdriver tip off trying to pry it off. I have it soaking in wd40 now. If that doesn't work, what next? Heat it up?

It also looks like it is off right to left. 1st is about where 3rd should be. I've got everything in the way of the linkage cleared out, but I want to get the forward and backward angle adjusted properly first as it seems like it would have more impact on the problem I'm seeing.

I snapped a couple pics of what's going on with the linkage. Let me know if you see anything right off that could be wrong.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:26 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

So Clark's Garage says to change the angle of the shifter from front to rear, loosen the bolts at the bottom of the shift lever and slide it forward or backward. When I slide it forward, the rod slides forward as well, so it still maintains the same angle, the whole thing is just further forward. Anyone know what could cause this?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Wow. That's a lot of rust for a west coast car. From what I can see it does not look like anything is moving that should not be, you can also check the bolts that connect your shift lever to the torque tube. Pull your shift **** off, then the leather and rubber boots, move the insulation apart and there should be 2 bolts. It really sounds like the linkage at the transaxle, but this is just a thought.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

The car is an east coast car, it's been out west for a little under a month. It sat for the past year in VA, hence the surface rust. I already adjusted the lever and it didn't seem to help the issue. I still think the lever is greater than 85*, but the base is as far forward as it will go. I can't break the bolt to adjust the rear, so it's soaking in wd40 right now. It definitely can use adjustment in the rear as 1st is about where 3rd should be, but I'm not sure this is going to solve my problem.

Quick Reply: Can't shift into 2nd & 4th