Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

sds standalone easy to use and set up on 951?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sds standalone easy to use and set up on 951?

I like to do standalone but dont want a laptop version that I need to quit work to invest time to understand tune it

I was thinking the EM3e
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Why do you want standalone then? Not that there's anything wrong with it but you can get decent performance without it too.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with pat,

Theres nothing wrong with some of the chip sets, Vittesse also have the piggy back and you can tune timing and fuel mixtures.

never heard of SDS but id use A'PEXi power FC since it has a quite nice user hand controller if you dont want a laptop.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SDS will work, but doesnt really give you anything over the stock DME/KLR. IMHO its a bit of a pointless standalone but thats me. And once you total up the prices, it comes to nearly the same prices as vastly superior systems like Link Storms.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I used SDS on my old 951. It's a great beginner system to learn how to tune. It doesn't do true 3D mapping, you tune for fuel on a rpm basis, then you tune the MAP pressure "multiplier" and that's it. It's easy, and a great way to learn how to tune.

As theedge says, there's much better systems out there for same or cheaper than SDS, which is quite expensive for what you get. Only reason I chose them back then was because they were local to me.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theedge
SDS will work, but doesnt really give you anything over the stock DME/KLR. IMHO its a bit of a pointless standalone but thats me. And once you total up the prices, it comes to nearly the same prices as vastly superior systems like Link Storms.
http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html
+1 and your still going to need a crank trigger. And what kind of support can you expect?
Something that other 951 guys are running or 951 vendors supply would give you more help on here if needed.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

When it came time to do reference and Sync sensors you may want to consider doing a magnet set up on your cam instead of the crank shaft.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:06 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Just get a MAF system with piggyback if you don't want to dive into the standalone world and learn how to tune.

If you want to go standalone and not have to learn to tune, there are several vendors out there that could provide you with a pretty much plug-and-play setup with a very good basemap if your mods are common, then you wouldn't have to worry about starting from scratch with a not-so-common ECU.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM
jss
Pro

thanks for the info guys
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i agree with pat,

Theres nothing wrong with some of the chip sets, Vittesse also have the piggy back and you can tune timing and fuel mixtures.

never heard of SDS but id use A'PEXi power FC since it has a quite nice user hand controller if you dont want a laptop.
I good piggyback system, M-Tune, Vitesse, and even a "decent" chip set for your particular car will provide you with a great tune. The issues with the trigger install, wiring, and then the biggest hurdle, getting the car to run as well as the Motrinic at all engine speeds and boost levels required a big investment in time and money if you need help getting things as good as factory.

If you are building a beast, then it's worthwile. There are more issues than payback for 90% of us nutty 951 nuts.

George
Old 08-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
I good piggyback system, M-Tune, Vitesse, and even a "decent" chip set for your particular car will provide you with a great tune. The issues with the trigger install, wiring, and then the biggest hurdle, getting the car to run as well as the Motrinic at all engine speeds and boost levels required a big investment in time and money if you need help getting things as good as factory.

If you are building a beast, then it's worthwile. There are more issues than payback for 90% of us nutty 951 nuts.

George
IMO like you said, if you've got a hell of an engine then yes standalone it. if its a few mods like what most people do as in new turbo, injectors and exhaust... id get a good chip set from those 2 vendors. if i've got cams headwork and some crazy stuff then standalone.

Quick Reply: sds standalone easy to use and set up on 951?