Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much will a crossover pipe leak effect spool up ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much will a crossover pipe leak effect spool up ?

Hey all - I have a multi-piece cross over with V-bands and I have tried everything short of welding it to get it to seal up. It is pretty tight but I can still hear a small leak. How much do you think it affects spool up ? Since pressure is what gets a turbo moving - my concern is any leak is dramatically affecting spool up of the turbo. Thoughts ??
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is it leaking? at the vband flanges where it joins up?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Cover the v-band joint that you suspect is leaking with anti-seize, and check it out. That should seal it up and allow you to verify the asnwer to your question.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They also make a copper gasket sealant that you can buy at autozone or another parts store. They make a brush on version and a spray. I prefer the brush on. I had the same issue and it seemed to help. Also loosen the headers to allow for a little wiggle room. Tighten the vband and then the headers to xover. You may have tried this already though.

I am in the process of reassembling my xover and am planning to dril 6mm holes in the xover flange so I can bolt it up vs using the vband. I talked to Lindsey yesterday and they have redesigned the system to use bolts vs vbands. Those should start being sold in a week or two.

Cheers
Brian

Quick Reply: How much will a crossover pipe leak effect spool up ?