Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rattling after changing motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling after changing motor mounts

i changed my motor mounts this weekend with the help of Skip (thanks Skip) here in atlanta. one of the original mounts (they were the old green rubber ones) was completely collapsed. i used the OE mounts which were expensive but i didn't want to take any chances. super smooooooth now.

we used the clarks garage procedure which worked but wasn't easy. i can see why most shops hoist the engine from the top a little.

i'm getting a couple of weird noises now and am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas?

1. The torque tube seems noisy now when the car is idling in neutral. it was quiet before and is rattling a bit now. push the clutch in and it stops.

2. When I put the car in first gear and start to let the clutch out it makes some rattling noises like exhaust shield type noise or something.

is there an adjustment with the torque tube? could it misalign the torque tube jacking the engine slightly?

any input would be great.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...mine were collapsed pretty bad too. I recall a couple clearance issues after the new mounts were put in. I had them done locally (lister Phlip) and he adjusted a couple things but can't remember what.

I too have the same torque tube rattle (stops with clutch depressed)...and it may or may not have started after the new mounts???

Will be interesting to see the responses.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i still dont understand why the cross member wouldnt just drop down to the end of the bolts.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
kinglenario
Racer

it started to drop a lot easier toward the end of the process for some reason.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
kinglenario
Racer

i need to get back under there and look around to find the rattle but it's tough with one person. plus the rattle is much worse when the clutch is released in first gear so that is going to be hard to replicate.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
i changed my motor mounts this weekend with the help of Skip (thanks Skip) here in atlanta. one of the original mounts (they were the old green rubber ones) was completely collapsed. i used the OE mounts which were expensive but i didn't want to take any chances. super smooooooth now.

we used the clarks garage procedure which worked but wasn't easy. i can see why most shops hoist the engine from the top a little.

i'm getting a couple of weird noises now and am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas?

1. The torque tube seems noisy now when the car is idling in neutral. it was quiet before and is rattling a bit now. push the clutch in and it stops.

2. When I put the car in first gear and start to let the clutch out it makes some rattling noises like exhaust shield type noise or something.

is there an adjustment with the torque tube? could it misalign the torque tube jacking the engine slightly?

any input would be great.
The noise for both 1 and 2 sound like classic 5th gear rattle in 944 trannys.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ar-rattle.html

Some people try thicker tranny fluid but otherwise nothing can be done about it. I've got a freshly rebuilt tranny (from kevin gross no less) and it has a lot of that rattle.

the only thing that gives me pause is that I assume you didn't have the rattle before the motor mount job?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ninefiveone

Some people try thicker tranny fluid but otherwise nothing can be done about it. I've got a freshly rebuilt tranny (from kevin gross no less) and it has a lot of that rattle.

the only thing that gives me pause is that I assume you didn't have the rattle before the motor mount job?
still watching this thread with great interest...thanks for the response
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
kinglenario
Racer

Originally Posted by ninefiveone

yes, that theory doesn't work here because i had no rattle before the motor mount job. it sounds like something with the torque tube is rubbing. is it possible i dented the torque tube and it's rubbing a tiny bit somewhere?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things:

If your rattle noise goes away at idle by pushing the clutch in; the problem is very likely the 5th (overdrive gear) rattling.. Very common, and Annoying, but not really a severe issue. I noticed mine after changing to Mobil 1 Tranny Fluid 75w90.
*Recently when installing my clutch i swapped the fluid to Redline MTL for LSD Transmissions , and the Noise is either gone or un-noticeable...

If your noise sounds more like a heat shield rattle the problem likely might be this shield that keeps debris from getting up in your Clutch/Flywheel area..

There should be little dampening pieces that absorb vibration... But they fall out overtime; There was only one left on mine... Everytime I would accelerate a low speeds "Rattle Rattle"

When i did my oil pan gasket i removed this piece, and no more rattle;

If you go to the back of the oil pan you will see it... Black Thin Sheetmetal. Tap on it... it might just sound like the rattle you are hearing.. it's only two bolts... Remove it and test drive..
#27 in the Diagram
Click Here

Hope this Helps!

Quick Reply: Rattling after changing motor mounts