Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS6 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'll come back to spacers and center of gravity later when I have time.

More importantly, is anyone running a 944LS in SCCA? If so, what class? I'm trying to get into the Labor Day race at Barber and they don't have a class for me. Can't run SPO, that requires a fuel cell.n
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I'll come back to spacers and center of gravity later when I have time.
you aren't lengthening the strut so the height of the car is the height of the loaded strut over the A-arm. It doesn't matter how many shims you add to the inboard mounts - the height of the car won't change unless you shim the bottom of the strut off the outer A-arm or the top of the strut under the shock tower
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Bluemach1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I got by with a .25 inch spacer.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And....back from commercial break..........here's he original thread subject. I think any LS swap project is going to go like this.

Waiting for more parts I done got crazy and painted the interior, wasn't that much left to strip out and I cannot stand the stone gray when it comes to finding things, fixing things or sourcing problems on a race car. Let's just say the reflective value of gray, well, sucks. I will have to touch up with a brush to make it 100% and it may set me back one day but it's worth it. I also ran out of paint, that's why it's a little gray in some spots, hence the need for the brush.

My shop is a total mess and it's going to take a day just to clean up before we start final assembly.

Deliveries in the next two days; Aim Pista and Smarty Cam (direct connect to the MEFI cam bus), alternator, water pump, coil packs, Accusump, Mocal BA (bigass) cooler and much much more.
Attached Images       
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Looks great. I had trouble keeping my last car, with white interior, looking clean inside. The black marks from driving shoes shows up very nicely on the floor. On the other hand, when you drop something, it is much easier to find.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I have a beautiful girl carefully wipe my pristine driving shoes before I enter the cockpit, don't you?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disasterman
I have a beautiful girl carefully wipe my pristine driving shoes before I enter the cockpit, don't you?
Unfortunately not

So one weekend I'm at Barber Motorsports. Directly across the paddock is an arrive and drive with two very nice cup cars. The drivers pull in after a session and head into the trailer. A few minutes later, two guys emerge and begin wiping down the cars with spray bottles and towels. My wife says to me "why don't you do that to your car after a race". My response; "baby, the drivers are in the trailer getting a message with a happy ending, those guys are the hired help!".
Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I have to tell you that I went back and read your thread on your build, starting with the Supercharger moving on to the LS. I immediately ordered the gasket scraper from your thread connect. Thanks! I still need to finish the underside.

Seriously, after working on my brother in law's white chassis Koni Challenge car, I will always prefer a white. It's just so much easier to fix things in "track" light (at night, flashlights, raining under an awning etc. I have come to the realization that you're going to work on your car at the track. Anyone that has a car that does not need work does not race it (not at the front anyway).

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Not so fast...
TonyG
LOL. Houston certainly has it's share of retarded quick drivers. Flip that around. Retarded slow also. Makes for some obnoxious trains at a Porsche event.

Disastermaster;

That garage is very sweet. The car really looks nice. I was sold on white quite a while ago. I told another racer that i was going to paint the interior black again. He looked at me and realized I had never been in a long race. He asked me if I was crazy and If I like the extra heat of black, on black, on a block top raceway in the summer. And If I really like to punish myself with heat. We took inside temps of both cars. I don't remember exactly how much cooler his was, but it was pretty ridiculous. Knew I was going to paint the interior white from that day on. (light gray for a short time, but decided back to white)

+2 for going white. I love it. And I can't wait until it all goes together. I think your time frame is quite ambitious, but I'm rooting for you.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

I have to tell you that I went back and read your thread on your build, starting with the Supercharger moving on to the LS. I immediately ordered the gasket scraper from your thread connect. Thanks! I still need to finish the underside.
Cheers!
Use the torch, heats is your friend on this one. Fumes are you enemy, so do it outside on a windy day or with a fan blowing.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Unfortunately not
You know... that can be rectified.....

TonyG
Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And....back from commercial break..........here's he original thread subject. I think any LS swap project is going to go like this.

Waiting for more parts I done got crazy and painted the interior, wasn't that much left to strip out and I cannot stand the stone gray when it comes to finding things, fixing things or sourcing problems on a race car. Let's just say the reflective value of gray, well, sucks. I will have to touch up with a brush to make it 100% and it may set me back one day but it's worth it. I also ran out of paint, that's why it's a little gray in some spots, hence the need for the brush.

My shop is a total mess and it's going to take a day just to clean up before we start final assembly.

Deliveries in the next two days; Aim Pista and Smarty Cam (direct connect to the MEFI cam bus), alternator, water pump, coil packs, Accusump, Mocal BA (bigass) cooler and much much more.
The car looks great but holy cow... that's a LOT of cage.

My initial impression was why so much and the up-high weight.. but now I'm feeling like I need a couple more bars welded in my car.....

Thanks

TonyG
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=TonyG;8808488]I actually don't recommend removing the bosses. It's actually better to use them to bolt a guide plate to so that the lines can sit on the guide plate.

I only removed the solid one and used the one with the threaded hole to bolt the guide on to the block

Without the bosses, the lines can sink in the "V" created between the steering rack and the block pinching the lines closed partially (however, at least they won't get cut by the bosses on the block).

TonyG
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM
968ls1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spaced out

Spacers do not lower the center of gravity they raise the body in relation to the cross-member. To lower the center of gravity you would have to move the engine cross member closer to the ground or reduce ride height with lower suspension--spacers don't do that at the engine. Adding a spacer on the trans does lower the CG of the trans and has no effect on suspension geometry. Cross member spacers do change the angle of the A-arms in relationship to the ground at ride height the ball joint end of the arms are higher than the inner and that reduces bump travel the amount of the thickness of the spacer usually a 1/2". If they were a good idea Porsche would have done it from the factory when you add spacers you change suspension geometry not CG. Re-drilling the inner pick up point on the cross member is the easiest geometry correction if you add spacers. Does it have an ill effect on how the car will handle? Probably not but on a car with stock A-arms it will put the ball joint pin at an increased angle and on bump the pin can contact the side of the a-arm and cause ball joint failure. I personally would not run them on a track car with stock a-arms you can correct this with aftermarket arms like the ones from Racers edge and correct the geometry change. Spacers are used for 1 reason to gain clearance to allow the hood to close.

Quick Reply: LS6 Project