Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What controlls the wastegate???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:12 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What controlls the wastegate???

Well, if you didn't already know, I went down to N'Oleans LA this weekend ;-), and on the way there and back I discovered something with my cars problem. It is fine when it's DEAD ON the #1 on the stock boost gauge, but if I try to slam it down, it will not budge, I hear it building up air then a "KKKKKSSSSSHHHHHH" and i'm just floating there spraying black smoke out the back, at ~70MPH on the interstate it was hard to tell if it was coming from under the car or under the hood!.
I couldn't get the car to get up and go UNLESS I was at FULL throttle, and still then, in my rearview could see black smoke up until around 5K, then it thinned down, and by 5.5K it was gone.
It's disturbing....It almost sounds like it's just dumping it out the wastegate.
--I have a dual port Lindsey Wastegate & Manual Boost Controller
--I have replaced the TPS
--I do have an A.P.E Stg II chip & testpipe, I will be taking the APE chips ouit as soon as my stock ones get here in the mail! Thanks for any help...
Old 02-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tested your blowoff valve with a vaccum tester? That sound your saying it makes sounds like a bad valve to me.

When they did the rebuild on your car from the previous owner, did they replace all the vaccum lines?
Old 02-10-2002, 04:54 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

yeah I just put in a new B/O valve... But, no I haven't tested it, maybe it's broken somewhere else? Hehe
Old 02-10-2002, 06:04 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

You shouldn't have a blow off valve venting to the atmosphere in your car. The air is already measured by the air meter BEFORE the blow off valve, so the ECU is adding fuel to air that's not entering the combustion chamber. That black smoke is tons of unburned fuel coming out the exhaust when your blow off valve activates (the pshhhhh sound) and vents measured air into the atmosphere.

At 5500rpm, the turbo isn't building enough boost to push open the BOV, so it stops making sound, and your fuel is measured properly once again. I'm guessing :

1. BOV is set to vent at 1 bar
2. Wastegate is set to open at over 1 bar

Therefore the excess boost is now controlled by the BOV and not the wastegate.
Old 02-10-2002, 10:30 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

I don't get that, what do I do then, or do you not know? It's great to know, but I realy duno what it means. I didn't mean like 1 bar (14.5PSI) I meant the 1 on the stock gauge actually 0... =) thanks though.!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:24 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

The black smoke is unburnt fuel, the pshhhh sound is the air leaking somewhere, so check for leaks between the air meter and the intake manifold.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:27 PM
*WiZaRD- 951
Banned

Ok I'll do that today, thanks!

Quick Reply: What controlls the wastegate???