Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

It's friday night and my maf dont fit..argh

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 01:13 AM
urchin951
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy It's friday night and my maf dont fit..argh

anybody else seen this? its a lindsey maf going into a 86. my alternator is in the way of the power tube. I can't even get the adapter hose on the turbo inlet without deforming it over the rear alt. cover. Is it possible the belt is to long and the alt is adjusted too far up. or is it not even adjustable and the belt is tightened on the a/c. What about aftermarket alternators. can they differ in size?

its friday and no tech support till mon morn, so any advice is appreciated
Old 02-09-2002, 01:32 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How far off is it? It helps if you bend over the alternator cable towards the engine. Then put the adapter hose on the MAF manifold (not on the alternator). Hose-clamp it in place and use the manifold to push the hose onto the turbo-inlet.

Check out my MAF install procedure on my website: <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx" target="_blank">951 RacerX website</a>
Old 02-09-2002, 01:50 AM
urchin951
AutoX

guess that means the alt rear cover needs to tossed before doing this. Didnt know that was your page. great site. funny thing, I bookmarked your site for reference tonight. But it has been down.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Danno
Race Director

Hmmmm, I kept my alternator cover & hose one. Perhaps your MAF kit is a different than mine.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Urchin,

Keep us advised on your progress. Ater having lots of LR parts, all have been great so far, I will probably get their MAF after I'm done with the rebuild. Just pulled the Kokeln turbo and Stage II head out of their boxes,,,look really good.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:50 AM
tecart
Pro

no the alternator isnt in the wrong place, and the maf kit is a tight fit, the wiring harness for the back of the alt. can be pushed down further if you press the rubber gromet in deeper this will give you an extra 1/2 inch then still the hose on the turbo will be squished a bit still on the wire harness but now when all is clamped up it will fit fine, this should take care of it, also sometimes people get fustrated on this issue and dont remember to clamp the hose on the turbo properly(some just think its on its ok) the problem is the underneth side isnt on sometimes so make sure you get a 100% seal on the turbo then tighen it down tight, this makes sure it dont come off as you install the next pieces as you wiggle them side to side
Old 02-14-2002, 02:39 PM
Danno
Race Director

It's also a lot easier if you put the hose adapter onto the MAF manifold first, clamp it down, then use the manifold as leverage to push the other end of the hose over the turbo.

My Huntley Turbo2 has a 2.75" inlet, so folks with a larger 3.00" turbo may really need to push the alternator wiring over or maybe even remove the shroud completely.

Quick Reply: It's friday night and my maf dont fit..argh