Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

timing belt cover cap and should it be capped?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 08:41 PM
tecart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post timing belt cover cap and should it be capped?

i gota 86 944 and heard of capping of this timing belt cover with these cap - 944.106.103.03
clamp - N.024.511.3 is this recommended by porsche or just by us trying to cap instead of buying a k&n proper sized filter? is this gonna stop anything or hurt anything if i cap it off? i wonder cause i can put my finger in the hole and i feel some air escaping as the cam and balance shaft belts spin and i do got a maf kit so i want to do something to that opening but not sure who decided the right way to deal with it, can you shed some wisdom please
Old 02-09-2002, 10:33 AM
IBRJA
Intermediate

If you watch the VCR tape regarding the maintenance and timing belt adjustment of the 944 it explains that the hole was used to connect a hose going to the air filter box. It was intended to send broken belt teeth from the balance shaft belt to the top of the air filter so that you could see the broken pieces when you removed the air box cover. This was meant to indicate that it's time to change the belts. The new timing belt/balance shaft belt covers do not have this hole feature. Porsche expects that you will block off the hose or remove the hose and cap off the hose connection in the air box in order to finish the job. Bottom line - go ahead and cap it off otherwise you may get some debris going into the belt area and you don't want that to happen.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:06 AM
lou951
Instructor

I installed an Autothority MAF and it included a cap for that hole. The original hose to air cleaner is no longer used w/ this application.

Quick Reply: timing belt cover cap and should it be capped?