Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

More Oil Leak Clues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Mark Wo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post More Oil Leak Clues

I have cleaned off the bottom of the engine with a good degreaser and I have cleaned the bottom engine pan (car should be so much faster now that the 100 pounds or oil, sand, goo, etc... has been scraped off)

The leak is on the passenger side of the vehicle. If you are under the car, look straight up from the sensor that goes into the oil pan. There is a heat shield there and above the heat shield is something that is round that looks like a plug of some type (could this be a rear seal for a balance shaft by chance?) This is where the majority of the oil is leaking from. I also have a leak at the oil pan plug that will be fixed during the next oil change.

My question. Is this the balance shaft plug? If not, what is it that is leaking? How had to fix this leak? What all is involved?

Mark W
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, there's an O-ring that fits underneath that plug. And the exhaust heat helps wear out that O-ring. Reach up with and touch that cap, does it move around easily? I just covered the outside of that cap (and the gaps) with 2-part epoxy and left it! I've also changed out my oil-pan gasket, front engine seals, cam-housing gasket and rear cap seal recently. Hopefully, I'll have a drip-free garage floor soon...

Quick Reply: More Oil Leak Clues