Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do these actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:59 AM
MildMax951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak from experience, but as I'm thinking about getting the Kokeln adapter and Cone filter from Lindsey Racing I have been doing some research. Below is a short extract from a mail by Brett Middleton of MRT Rally (well known subaru tuners in Australia)
The temps are in degrees C.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">as a rough rule of thumb, we found at the time "if we assume outside is zero (as a baseline to make the maths easy) inside pod was + 5 after the turbo was +100 after the intercooler was + 50.

SO as we have always found on many cars (we normally test with the MoTeC that a few extra degrees temp at the pod makes minimal difference by the time it has risen after the turbo and cooled by the intercooler.

(NOTE the temp rise at the turbo is NOT from the hot gasses transferred from the exhaust BUT from the friction generated from compressing the air)

yes we agree a heat shield will help, BUT and heres the but, we find it difficult to keep explaining to people that the MAJOR benefit of so called cold air induction is to improve air flow and reduce the restriction, the REAL cold air is needed at the intercooler to make its job work better. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If you want to read the whole exchange do a Google search on rampod_vs_cold_air_duct.txt (sorry I lost the URL)
There are some conflicting views expressed, but ineteresting reading.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:41 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Kokeln markets the same filter setup, behind the radiator. They claim that the increased surface area afforded by the K&N filter over the stock version is what adds the horsepower. The increased surface area "overcomes" the increase in heat from the radiator and engine.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:59 PM
coolhand
Racer

with my cone filter behind the radiator, I definately feel less power on hot days than with the original setup. once I get moving for awhile though and get some airflow, it improves.

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-10-2003, 07:06 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So which would be better the Kokeln set up behind the headlight or the filter in front of the radiator with a vented nose piece?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 AM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Robwsup:
<strong>How did you do this?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I just posted the whole procedure on the 924/931/944/951/968 board. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:59 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
how much is that kolehn system?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Kokeln goes for $150.
To the above question: A cone filter located behind the headlight would be better. A cone filter has significant surface area and it would be located away from the heat behind the headlight, so you get the best of both worlds. The air going through a vented nose piece still has to go through the intercooler and will pick up heat. Also the location behind the radiator/intercooler is a very hot area because of the proximity to the engine.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:47 PM
KokelnRob
Intermediate

The part number is KI114 and retails for $110.00.
It can be seen here:
<a href="http://www.kokeln.com/products/951_8689/aircleaner_kit.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.kokeln.com/products/951_8689/aircleaner_kit.shtml</a>
Old 04-11-2003, 07:54 PM
KokelnRob
Intermediate

We also have an entire Intake System which retains the stock air meter. It places the filter behind the head light.
<a href="http://www.kokeln.com/products/951_8689/turbo_intake.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.kokeln.com/products/951_8689/turbo_intake.shtml</a>
This system is a little more complicated but it cleans up the front of the engine bay. There are also fewer hose clamp connections than the stock system. (Fewer potential failure points under higher boost race conditions.)

Quick Reply: Do these actually work?