Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WR7DC's got super PLUS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
rude944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR7DC's got super PLUS

So, I have been around 951's for about 15 years and have used Bosch copper plugs always. A 5 if it's a high output motor and 7 with most everything else. Sometimes I would favor the "resistor-less" variety (W5DC) and that was fine as well.

In the last year, I bought a 32k mile '88 951, which was sorta a barn find and had the pleasure of sorting it out, back to stock. I replaced the old plugs (which were, just for your reading pleasure, a set of Splitfires), that were relics and got some WR7DCs from Pelican, the usual. IIRC, nothing seemed new nor interesting when I did so. Just the normal old WR7DC, still the generic staple.

I just went down to Napa to get some electrical parts (for a riding mower that needed love)and bought the new Bosch Super Plus in WR7DC and to my surprise, they had some new features. Notably, the electrode was tapered and grooved, like the inverse of the old NGK.

So, I'm at 40k miles now, and 8k isn't too long on a set of Supers, and wear was pretty mild, just a hint of curvature on the electrode. The plugs looked pretty good coming out, the stain of techron lets me know it's still in the formula Chevron uses. But overall, they were more than decent. I finished the job and started it up, but didn't drive anywhere.

The following morning, I start it up and go to my commute. Going through the warm up process, there was slightly smoother performance, and that day in the office, I downloaded Porsche's new g-force app for my phone. I decided to see if I could get 1 lateral g on the way home (nope. But cool app!). But I am struck.... the difference in ignition performance was remarkable!!! Usually you can feel a little fresher with a new set from old, but this was a striking, all around improvement. The idle is smoother, and the old 2.5 is far more responsive than with anything else that ever cost me $7.86. Full boost feels boostier.

Here's the link to Bosch, who I don't work for or own shares in the AG http://www.boschautoparts.com/sparkp...SuperPlus.aspx

I don't know or care what Yttrium is, but Bosch says the new grounding electrode design increases "fuel ignitability" which if I was a Marketing Director, I'd avoid that verbiage like the plague.

Just wanted to share the wealth.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Just out of curiosity, where would you draw the line between high output/everything else... I mean, at what point would you switch from the 7 to the 5?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Alpineace
Pro

FWIW I use the W7DC
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did the same thing on mine and noticed a large difference as well. I was very sceptical because of the name super plus vs. the old supers and bad experiences with platnum plugs. I thought it was all in my head, however it apears they do make a difference.

Quick Reply: WR7DC's got super PLUS