Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shimming wastegate...questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
JLeake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shimming wastegate...questions

I have a boost enhancer set around 10 psi. I would like to shim my waste gate and add Autothority chips. I'm shooting for around a 3-4mm thick shim stack, but what are the proper ID and OD's for the shims? (Going to Home Depot...)

Also I understand that shimming the wastegate increases the pre-load on the spring. What actually regulates the boost level though? The cyclic valve, right? Does the chip set modify the CYCLIC VALVE REGULATED BOOST to 15 psi, or does it just adjust the fuel/timing maps and raise the factory boost cut-off? What I'm getting at is I need a reliable way to control the boost. The boost enhancer I have is not an LBE, but similar. With either model (from what I've experienced/read) you get some flash boost as the turbo increases speed exponentially, and there is some lag in the feedback loop. Point being I would like to use the boost ehnacer to reduce turbo lag, the chip set to faciliate higher boost levels, and then the stock cyclic valve to regulate the boost at 15 psi...am I missing something here? Many people control their boost levle with a LBE, but I don't feel comfortable doing that. Please fill in the gaps here for me....thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:52 AM
Loki
Instructor

When removing my stock wastegate the previous owner just used washers to shim it. I always wondered why I was able to push 13psi. I wasn't sure if it was chipped at the time. There is a mod that involves drilling a hole in part of the cycling valve to get boost to hit sooner, but I forgot where I saw it. I also bought a boost enhancer(not lindsey's), which I regret. I don't think it ever performed the way it was suppose to. I have now gotten rid of it and my stock waste gate. I bought a Tial wastegate. The difference is unreal. If you want your boost to smack you in the face, get rid of the stock waste gate and buy a dual port design. This allows you to bypass the cycling valve as well. A manual boost controller is needed to have internal control of boost. I am no expert, but have just finished doing my clutch, springs, torsion bars, shocks, wastegate etc.... so if you have any ?s feel free to email me. crice30@excite.com
Chris
Old 05-01-2002, 10:29 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Danno or someone please correct me, but I don't think that to date anyone's chips control the cylic(cycling?) valve. I believe SFR is trying to do just that currently and Garret(GIAC) may have recently accomplished altered boost control via software for our cars.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. If you do shim it, the 4mm bicycle chainring spacers work nicely. Get 'em at a local nicer bikeshop. I installed them with the wastegate in place under the car. It wasn't too bad if you've got small hands. Hey, no jokes.

Quick Reply: Shimming wastegate...questions