Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Batter Size/Type?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002 | 03:12 PM
Rambino
Intermediate

Post Batter Size/Type?

Battery Size? I have in my Turbo S a 91.. but it says in the books to use a 47 ???

Anyone

Thanks
Old 05-01-2002 | 12:02 AM
summerski
Track Day

I too checked the books and can't find anything. I learned a few years back the battery is the same used by VW in most Jettas from the 80s-90s depending.....(typically a 41G)

My battery problem was an old battery....fixed w/a new one. Now, after my lower temp fan switch installation...I sometimes have trouble starting because the fan saps the battery. Or, the battery won't turn the starter at the same time the fan is engaged.

I'm probably going to have to get a new battery...again...as this one doesn't like recharging through the winter and may be shot? U find something good? Post it?
Old 05-01-2002 | 02:21 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Does anyone have an Optima installed -- if so which model? I didn't seem to turn anything up in the searches. I've always been a fan of Optimas and want to replace my aging unit.
Old 10-31-2003 | 10:27 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

I know this is an old thread, but it does not look like it was ever resolved. My battery is dead and I would like to install an Optima battery. I have been unable to determine wich one to get. I notice that Optima is now supplying two models with the reversed posts that our car needs.

Does any one know which model I should get?

34R or 51R

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
Old 11-01-2003 | 12:31 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Forget the 51R as it is 9" tall and will hit the hood for sure. Dents and arc welding.

The 34R at 7.8" tall may hit your hood also so be careful and buy from a place local so you can return it cheap.

The batteries that will clear the hoods for sure are group 40R and 41 which are 6.9" tall. I don't think Optimas come in those sizes yet. Which is why everyone is mounting Optimas on their sides in the 944.
Old 11-01-2003 | 09:01 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Any problem laying an optima on its side?

Would some one who has installed an optima please post some pictures and a short explanation.
Old 11-01-2003 | 11:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

No problem mounting on the side (they are gell so won't leak acid, well at least in theory) but you need to do some work on tieing it down solid. Various outfits have conversion mounts ... think they are about 50 bucks for the mounts. Which makes the Optima proposition pretty expensive when you get all done with it.
Old 11-02-2003 | 09:15 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Yellow Top 34R/78 mounted upright using car's original holddown, used side-poles battery connection.

I did all the research and here was my final result, I am very happy about it.

The Yellow Top has a pair of uniquely positioned side-poles, that allows the car's battery cables to reach without length problem. The Red Top's side poles located further to its edge, and it would be too far for the car's Negative battery cable to reach.

I didn't choose the Orange Top because it doesn't have side poles. I prefer the side poles because the Optima is taller than the OEM battery, and I try to avoid the risk of the top poles touching the hood (nope, don't want that happens ).

Yes, I can mount the Orange Top and Red Top on its side, but if the Yellow Top can be mounted upright without special side-mounting kit, I would rather spend the money of the side-mounting kit on a Yellow Top instead.

Also, I leave the Yellow Top's original top pole plastic protection caps intact (see above pic). These are very sturdy caps and are very good on protecting the top poles from touching the hood.

All new Optima batteries came with a 3-piece mounting plastic kit, and I just used one (the top one shown in the pic) on the base of the battery (the side facing inward of the car) to help fit the hold down perfectly.

It took me a week researching and monkeying at Pepboys with its demo batteries, but it's worth it. The installation took me only 20 minutes, and it mounted rock-solidly using the car's original holddown.

Quick Reply: Batter Size/Type?