Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Dripping from Bottom of Hot side housing on Turbo, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Dripping from Bottom of Hot side housing on Turbo, need advice

Like the topic says, I have pulled out the turbo on my 951.

It had been blowing alot of oil out the exhaust, and had little bit of white smoke coming out and around the turbo. So after taking it out I see that at the bottom screw where it holds the hot side together you can see where it has been leaking oil onto the exhaust. Plus now I can see why oil would be coming out the tailpipe and so-on.

My question is should the turbo be totally rebuilt. Overall it looks to be in pretty good shape. Impellers on both sides look fine. No obvious shaft play on intake side. But I know this may not tell the whole story. So what would be recommended?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of turbo? How many miles? Any shaft play in/out, up/down/side-to-side at all? I would make a judgment call based on the condition of the turbo. If you think it's in good condition, then just re-seal it. If it's a k26, I'd have mine rebuilt, or upgrade.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a Turbonetics turbo. Shaft play is very minimal in all "ways". That is why it seems like the turbo is good condition.

To reseal a turbo like this I assume I must find what size turbonetics it is, and then find a gasket "kit" for it?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to consider just taking it to a shop in your area that does good turbo rebuilds. It shouldn't cost too much for them to pull it apart and check it out. Until it's apart, you don't know for sure what's up with it. I'd hate to wreck my turbo by trying to take apart and putting back together improperly...
Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Taking it out is the hard part.
Take it to the turbo expert and ask him what's wrong; he's got the stuff to measure and fix it.

Quick Reply: Oil Dripping from Bottom of Hot side housing on Turbo, need advice