Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modified Autometer a/f ratio guage

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 03:23 AM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Modified Autometer a/f ratio guage

I saw this while looking around for a new a/f ratio guage.Tought i should post it.
<a href="http://gadgetseller.com/gauges/modifiedproducts.htm" target="_blank">http://gadgetseller.com/gauges/modifiedproducts.htm</a>
It look's like it could be much more precice. I'm debating on getting either a modified Autometer guage or an
<a href="http://www.lindseyracing.com/fuelmon.htm" target="_blank">Injector air/fuel monitor</a> from lindseyracing.
Any suggestion's...
Old 07-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Toolmaster
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edman -

Well, let's see.

The gauge's your showing will work only from a very specific voltage. Fortunately, it's the voltage area that we're most concerned with.

At idle, etc, the gauge should be off, or flicker.

If you're buying the gauge to just totally insure that at WOT you're not lean, then go ahead - it seems to be that it'll do that. If you're buying the gauge to tune, then I'd get the normal one.

Lindsey's gauge is nice in that it shows injector duty cycle, which is great for telling when you need larger injectors. If you're not going to modify them on the car, then why bother?

HTH!
Old 07-23-2002, 07:43 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[quote]If you're buying the gauge to just totally insure that at WOT you're not lean, then go ahead - it seems to be that it'll do that. If you're buying the gauge to tune, then I'd get the normal one. <hr></blockquote>

Well a normal Autometer guages is useless on idle and part trottle in my car. (im ussing the one from my other car for know) And IMO it work only on 80% to wot this is when i think A/F ratio's matter the most. Amd if the modified guage has 20 leds to show what A/F ratio you have at wot insteed of about 8-10 leds on a unmodified guage, then this is better IMO. Anyways these guages are only to keep an eye on my engine health and to do slight tuning. For real A/F tuning the best is a Dyno and a wideband A/F meter.
And an other + is it will not bounce around on low to mid throttle operation witch is very anoying.

But know im thinking of getting the lindsey meter and get it modified by gadgetseller, if they agree. This way i will have best of both worlds.

Thanks for the input toolmaster.
Anybody else.....
Old 07-23-2002, 08:10 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How inaccurate are the autometer gauges?

I've just installed a LBE and according to my Autometer A/F gauge, I'm not running any more lean than I was before the extra psi. I have the Sport Comp version and it will sit at the last led before rich or at the first led in the rich section at WOT.

The gauge can't be completely useless, can it?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:12 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick, did you set the LBE to be running more boost than before LBE? If no, then air/fuel will not change
Old 07-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"How inaccurate are the autometer gauges?

I wouldn't say that they're inaccurate, just that the scale they encompass is a little too large. Such that the area you're really interested in from 11.0:1 to 13.0:1 is only represented by two-three LEDs. So one dot is too rich, which the next one over is too lean.

It would be interesting to spread this area out to 20 LEDs to see how that works. However, you still have the problem of the O2-sensor output being sensitive to temperature.

Quick Reply: Modified Autometer a/f ratio guage