Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just bought my first 951!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 02:00 AM
Smithtw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Just bought my first 951!

I've been reading and researching for almost two years (dreaming for over 20) I remember when I was about 9 or 10 my friend's mom had a 1980 928 and I became a Porsche person for life!
At age 31, running my own business and having an 11 month old daughter I finally got my first Porsche and even got my wife's approval.
I really wanted a project car and it looks like that's what I got.
I found a 1986 951 with 79K orignal miles (paid $6500.00) The good thing is I have almost all the receipts and it appears to have much of the problem areas addressed, but the paint (black) has not been taken care of and it needs a dash replacement. Other than the dash the interior is in excellent condition. It does need motor mounts and a tune up. I'm taking it in this week to have a local shop go over it and give me a "to do" list.
I'll be honest, I'm scared to death of this thing. Not the speed (which is amazing) but the cost of parts and being somewhat new to this car. I've read through this site many times before and it really seems like a great group of people. Maybe one of the reason I wanted to be a Porsche owner. I look foward to sharing my first experience with my 951 as well as begging for help. Thanks for reading my story.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:24 AM
Twinspool
Instructor

Congratulations on your purchase! Hope you enjoy many years of driving. Don't be afraid of your 951, but definately recognize that it is built to closer tolerances than most and it was designed to perform. Keep on top of maintenence and it will serve you well, slack off and neglect it and it will bite you right in the wallet.
I'm not sure how comfortable you are working on a car like this but it is definately possible, if not always easy. You have found one of the best resources out there for your car. I have never met a nicer bunch of enthusiasts and owners.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:27 AM
Twinspool
Instructor

Where are you from?
Is the car stock?

Now be honest... How fast have you gone in it?
Old 07-21-2002, 02:49 AM
Smithtw
Intermediate

Seattle area (Forgot to put that in the profile)
Traffic hasn't let me really get on it (probably a good thing, hehe). I touched 80 in third then went onto 90 in fourth but had to back off to make my turn. The tach is intermittentso I'm a little nervous.
I do hope to do much of the work myself. It is my project and not a daily driver (though I wish was) Our company specializes in underground water, sewer, and storm projects for the City and State. Showing up in any Porsche (high budget or low budget) would look odd.
I am really excited to have this car.
I did have one strange thing happen. A really in the fuse box got jarred loose and I lost all of the guages. I kept driving since I was only a mile or so from home. I look back in my mirror and I saw a ton of white smoke (my heart sank). I shut the car off immediatelyand fired it right back up and drove it straight home. Fluids all looked good. I pushed the relay back in and started it up. Gauges worked. Oil pressure was up, had boost, and temperature was normal. Ever heard of something like this happening?
Link to picture of my car:
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Porsche2July02.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Porsche2July02.jpg</a>
Old 07-21-2002, 06:52 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
White smoke is not usually good. Check your oil for any coolant, and vice-versa. If you see any, you may have got the head gasket.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first 951!