Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Damn - Cross Over Crack

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011 | 02:58 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Default Damn - Cross Over Crack

Damn 951. I knew I had a leak at my header, was costing me boost. Raised it up tonight to take a look, loosened off all the bolts at the head and crossover in prep to replace the headers. Then I noticed a nice big crack in my crossover pipe. For F__K sakes that is going to add some time to the job.

Any ideas on what to do? I was thinking of getting the Lindsey 2 piece crossover, but they will only modify your pipe now, no core charge, and I'm pretty sure my pipe is scrap.
Old 07-13-2011 | 04:16 AM
boerge
Instructor

Find a used one.
Old 07-13-2011 | 10:42 AM
boerge
Instructor

Whoaaa....Seems karma bit me hard on that one...Picked up 951 from shop today, plan was to repair exhaust leak near wastegate. Guess what, they discovered crack in crossover pipe...
I have been dealing with hesitation and fluctuating boost pressure (When finally boosting after hesitation..), and tractory sounds from that part of exhaust..
I did not know though, that it could make the car so sluggish/hesitating with such a small leak.
Is the crack the problem, or could I have other issues? I have just smoke tested and repaired intake leaks.

Can these cracks be welded if they are small?
Why is it so much extra work if you are removing the headers anyway, chrenan??
Old 07-13-2011 | 10:48 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I can double check mine when I get home tonight, but I should be able to part with the headers / crosover off my 87 (two piece crossover, but I am keeping the WG inlet pipe)..

PM me if you need a used one, and I will double check them for cracks!
Old 07-13-2011 | 11:06 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

PM sent John, thanks.
Old 07-13-2011 | 11:09 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

When these things crack where does it occur and how big is it? Can that section be chopped out and replaced by just a regular piece of tubing? Worse comes to worse take it to an exhaust shop and see if they can chop off the merge collector and fab up new everything to the turbo?
Old 07-13-2011 | 12:00 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Its a crack in the middle of the Y part of the merge collector. And big, was really hidden from view until I got in there wiped things off and took a good look. Then my face did this
Old 07-13-2011 | 12:25 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boerge
Why is it so much extra work if you are removing the headers anyway, chrenan??
The headers aren't terrible to remove, you can back the studs out to make it really easy. The crossover drives me crazy. I've done it twice, once to replace the turbo and oil pan seal, and once to do the clutch. Pulling the intake to get to it isn't terrible I guess, but I hate wrestling with those bolts that attach the cross over to the turbo.
Old 07-13-2011 | 12:48 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chrenan
The headers aren't terrible to remove, you can back the studs out to make it really easy. The crossover drives me crazy. I've done it twice, once to replace the turbo and oil pan seal, and once to do the clutch. Pulling the intake to get to it isn't terrible I guess, but I hate wrestling with those bolts that attach the cross over to the turbo.
Yeah those bolts (crossover to turbo) flat-out suck!

It's a little easier if you get yourself a set of box-end wrenches that both (a) ratchet and (b) can "tilt" the head. I was able to get to them a lot easier that way - mostly from the bottom of the car, thanks to the tilted head.

Something like this: http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/s_101...ng+Wrench+Sets

I see they have a set of stubbies too.
Old 07-13-2011 | 01:05 PM
boerge
Instructor

Questions:
Do you HAVE to remove intake to remove crossover at turbo, or does it just make it easier?
Do you have to remove the turbo downpipe for better access?

B
Old 07-13-2011 | 01:11 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Maybe if you sweet talk Dan, he can get his welder guy to fix your crossover. He did a great job on my header. Too bad there's no cost effective replacement for this pipe.
Old 07-13-2011 | 01:57 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Pictures?
Old 07-13-2011 | 03:41 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Thanks for that tip Omni, I've used every imaginable wrench for the job but I don't have those ones yet, will have to grab some.

Originally Posted by boerge
Questions:
Do you HAVE to remove intake to remove crossover at turbo, or does it just make it easier?
Do you have to remove the turbo downpipe for better access?

B
Intake has to be removed. Down pipe does not if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by JustinL
Maybe if you sweet talk Dan, he can get his welder guy to fix your crossover. He did a great job on my header. Too bad there's no cost effective replacement for this pipe.
I'm hoping John will have a good core I can buy from him and have him send over to Lindsey for modification. I want the convenience for the future work I'm sure I'll be going back in there to do eventually.

If everything comes together I should have it up and running for the 29th at stratotech and the PCA event next month, if not I'll have to run the backup RX-8.

It is funny that there is no aftermarket replacement option, its the one pipe in the system like that, everything else you can buy a resonable replacement for. What do the super high horsepower guys do for a crossover, is it all custom stuff?
Old 07-13-2011 | 04:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chrenan
It is funny that there is no aftermarket replacement option, its the one pipe in the system like that, everything else you can buy a resonable replacement for. What do the super high horsepower guys do for a crossover, is it all custom stuff?
http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=674

would be why I have a set available.. no core required.

I got mine second hand, had them shipped to Tim, and had time modify the headers and crossover (Add EGT bungs in all runners, Add ceramic coating, Add T3 flanged up pipe)

there are options!

Higher HP guys use the stage 2 setup that comes with the crosover pipe. and yes Tim can do 16V flanges too!
Old 07-13-2011 | 04:53 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Wow, that's a slick setup John! Very nice indeed, a little much for me running my little 26/6 and stock boost levels, but I can see how that is the way to go for a well developed car.

Quick Reply: Damn - Cross Over Crack