Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guru Map Kit / General Link Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Sean Hall:
<strong>AEM makes a really nice 'plug in' programmable engine management system.

Maybe if we all bugged them, we could change their mind.

Here's the product page:
<a href="http://www.aempower.com/ems.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aempower.com/ems.htm</a>

-Sean</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Sean....

They are about a year behind the scheduled release date of the "plug and play" system for the 3rd gen rx-7.

Don't hold your breath....

-Matt
Old 12-06-2002, 05:22 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Danno, is it possible to get/use the temp correction sensor for the non-turbo? I've got the MAP kit from Speedforce as part of the supercharger kit.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:54 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Danno-

Two Features I would like to see:

1. PC 3D graph tuning.

2. Electronic Boost Control. (Don't make me buy your standalone and the AVC-R!)

I was considering the Haltech system, but I suppose I will wait to see what features your system will entail.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:22 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark, sure you can add the air-temp sensor to your MAP kit. Look up in the manual to see the specs on the one you need and call up Bosch. They'll give you a part# of the correct one. If the response curve is the same as the 951, I'll send you one of ours (just need to drill a 6mm hole in the intake pipe somewhere).

Two Features I would like to see:
1. PC 3D graph tuning.
2. Electronic Boost Control. (Don't make me buy your standalone and the AVC-R!) "

Most definitely! Discrete 3D mapping allows fine-tuning fuel-zones much, much easier. Also you don't have to specify cryptic values such as millisecond pulse-widths in the 3D maps either. Anyway, the box can derive these 3D fuel-maps automagically with the O2-sensor feedback. To start, I'll program in the maps from our GURU v.8 chips and compare the dyno results. I suspect they'll be identical.

And the Link EFI does control boost as well. It even plugs directly into your stock cycling-valve! However, I still think the AVC-R is a better product for boost-management. Things like gear-based and RPM-based boost targets with fuzzy-logic learning makes for some easy tuning. Also the datalogging and graphing on the AVC-R is simply incredible. Once I get the injector duty-cycle conversion circuit done, datalogging the injectors would be a tremendous tuning aid (most people don't even realize they're maxxing out their injectors ).

Now I have to put a caveat out there. Sure, I'd love you sell you glitzy bling-bling products and stuff. But have to advise you to not get caught up in the 'more is better' syndrome. A longer list of 'features' doesn't mean that you'll make more power and have a faster car. A lot of it really is convenience and time saving.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:48 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Danno, what does the temp sensor plug into? Do I splice the factory harness/flap door plug? And I understand that your injector kits come with new ballast resistors. I am running 42lb Siemens, do I need to change the resistor as the stock non-turbo are also P&H low impedence injectors?
Old 12-07-2002, 02:06 PM
HansB
Pro

Danno, combining the link-1 with your t.b.a. Guru 364 package would make the ultimate non-invasive 951 upgrade package. Any plans?
Old 12-08-2002, 10:33 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Danno-
This Plug and Play system is going to make it a hell of alot easier for quasi-mechanics like myself to take advantage of Standalone!

Put me down for one!
When can we expect these to be available?
Old 12-12-2002, 05:41 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by marksportcts:
<strong>bump</strong><hr></blockquote>

Still fighting with cold-start and off-idle problems. Pulled the manifold and replaced every vacuum line, although I didn't find any that were bad in the first place. Checked and double-checked every coupler, but couldn't find any leaks.

Danno sent a programmer out for me on Monday, so that should be here soon and we can play with the fuel settings a bit.

Anything over 1500, once warmed up, is a nice improvement over the stock AFM system. Especially part-throttle acceleration. Peak rwhp increase has to be at least 20 according to my butt dyno.

I went from the Weltmeister chips to the Guru Stage 2.

More details once I get the programmer and make a few tweeks.

-Matt
Old 12-12-2002, 07:41 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

<strong>Danno, what does the temp sensor plug into? Do I splice the factory harness/flap door plug? And I understand that your injector kits come with new ballast resistors. I am running 42lb Siemens, do I need to change the resistor as the stock non-turbo are also P&H low impedence injectors?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was hoping Danno could answer a few more ??? for me.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

We are allready offering HR/Link EFI systems for sale. Take a look at our online store for more info here: <a href="http://www.huntleyracing.com" target="_blank">www.huntleyracing.com</a>
Old 12-12-2002, 11:24 PM
superjet.1
Pro

Derrek how can you already offer something that doesnt exist yet? We have the one and only link 1 for the 951 porsche in our test car period. We are testing this unit in conjunction with LINK USA. We will be offering it soon but not untill we are totaly done with real world testing.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:40 AM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

I have been looking for a stand alone type system for months and have found some good setups for around 1000$ to 1500$ but will wait to see what Danno will put out and what it will cost before I make my decision. He seems to be reasonably priced,knowledgable and reliable. If have to I will just by the map system or the digital lindsey maf, which have proven to be reliable, and use a boost controller before I go and spend 2000$ and thats probably not including any maps which will likely translate to dyno time and even more money.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by superjet.1:
<strong>Derrek how can you already offer something that doesnt exist yet? We have the one and only link 1 for the 951 porsche in our test car period. We are testing this unit in conjunction with LINK USA. We will be offering it soon but not untill we are totaly done with real world testing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

To be fair, is the Link system really any different than the other engine management systems out there? Anyone with knowledge of tuning and the ability to read a wiring diagram should have a good start.

While a plug-in harness and a solid base fuel map would be awesome, I think the Link system install itself is similar to SDS, Haltech, etc...

My 2 cents...

-Matt
Old 12-13-2002, 02:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

"Danno, what does the temp sensor plug into? Do I splice the factory harness/flap door plug? And I understand that your injector kits come with new ballast resistors. I am running 42lb Siemens, do I need to change the resistor as the stock non-turbo are also P&H low impedence injectors?"<hr></blockquote>

Hi Mark, the air-temp sensor plugs into the stock AFM connector. This plug containg both the air-temp signal as well as the air-flow meter. So you just plug the air-temp sensor wires into the outer two pins and that's (avoid the blank 5th position).

As for the injectors, yes you do need to be using ballast resistors. Or else they will force your DME to output twice as much current as the stock Porsche injectors. This will appear to work for a while, but the extra drain will eventually fry your DME.

Quick Reply: Guru Map Kit / General Link Questions