Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help, please! AFR's are weird. Zt-2 Screenshots & Files inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was just driving it to data log, and the engine bay caught fire! It's probably going to be a bit before I figure out what's wrong with the AFR
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pure black soot is sign of overly rich running.
Smoke on lift is transient rich condition caused by maf or TPS signal.. (overly rich running)

My bets are on NBO2 sensor being flakie, and FPR being faulty... pull the vacuum line off it, and see if fuel comes out...

Fire in engine bay is indication of leaking fuel injector / rail / line... also indication of the end of the day!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
Well, I was just driving it to data log, and the engine bay caught fire! It's probably going to be a bit before I figure out what's wrong with the AFR
That's terrible, hopefully not much damage and you can get her fixed soon.

I wonder if you had a leaky FPR or fuel Dampener? They could cause the weird AFRs and not to mention the fire..
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Pure black soot is sign of overly rich running.
Smoke on lift is transient rich condition caused by maf or TPS signal.. (overly rich running)

My bets are on NBO2 sensor being flakie, and FPR being faulty... pull the vacuum line off it, and see if fuel comes out...

Fire in engine bay is indication of leaking fuel injector / rail / line... also indication of the end of the day!
I forgot to mention in my original post, but I do have a 3bar FPR. Also, I pulled the line off of it the other day when checking the O2 and no fuel came out.

I'll replace the NBO2 while I'm repairing whatever fire damage there is.
As for the cause of the fire, it looks like an oil cooler line ruptured and spewed oil on the exhaust, but I'll have to get it home first to be sure.... still waiting on a tow
Old 06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
That's terrible, hopefully not much damage and you can get her fixed soon.

I wonder if you had a leaky FPR or fuel Dampener? They could cause the weird AFRs and not to mention the fire..
I see no evidence I'd there being a fuel leak, but I'm just sitting in a 7-11 parking lot waiting for a tow right now. The fire was very low, like near the oil pan, and there's a large puddle of oil under it... that's why I'm thinking oil cooler lines may be the culprit. Right now, I'm just happy that me, my 6 y-o son (who was in the car) and my crystal green paint survived unscathed.
everything else can be fixed.

Just wish I had a job right now to pay for it all

Thanks, everyone, for your help and concern.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:00 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to hear that you and your son are fine. In time, I am confident your car will be all sorted out. I guess life just gives a reality check some times as to what is really important.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

As long as everyone is safe, the car will be fixed. From the sound of it, it doesn't seem to be too bad (A fire is never good).. You'll get it sorted out!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Well, I got her home and commenced cleaning. While the 7-11 I stopped at was kind enough to let me use their fire extinguisher, it was a dry chemical fire extinguisher, so the powder needed to get washed out ASAP... that stuff can be extremely corrosive. So I went at it with a pressure washer, some dawn dish soap, some degreaser and some brake clean.

So far, it looks like I made out ok... Most of the char and soot came off of the engine bay, there's just a tiny bit of scarring on the underside of the hood.
The only other casualties I've found so far are the injector harness, which melted a bit and the WBO2 wire looks pretty cooked, but I'll have to look at that one closer to be sure.

I looked at the underside, and I can't see an exact location of an oil leak, but I can say for sure that there was one, and it was large... I lost about 2 quarts on the parking lot at 7-11 while waiting for the tow and it looks like about another 1/2 quart all over the undercarriage.

I was also able to verify that the fire was definitely mostly on the x-over pipe. That's where the majority of the burn markings are and the soot is white there instead of black.

I'm gonna have to clean the sh** out of the underside of the engine bay to determine where the leak originated, but my optimism is growing that I made out pretty well... hopefully my optimism is not premature....

Quick Reply: Help, please! AFR's are weird. Zt-2 Screenshots & Files inside