Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need advice about car problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002 | 01:24 AM
Madant26x
Racer

Post Need advice about car problems

I have an '89 951 and everytime I drive the car I hear a sqeaking noise coming from both rear wheels. It use to only happen at slow speeds when I was turning, but now it's happening more frequently, usually whenever I'm moving slowly. I think it may be my bearings but don't know for sure. Has anyone had this problem, I've never seen a post on the subject.
Old 12-03-2002 | 07:32 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

I had this problem on all four wheels. It was the brake pads. Changed to MetalMasters and the noise was gone. It is also possible the your rear wheel bearings are failing. Does the sound go away when you brake or is it constant ?
Old 12-03-2002 | 07:56 PM
Madant26x
Racer

My brakes do squeal a little, but this is a different squeal, definitely not the brakes. Also, the noise is constant at slow speeds, even under braking. Is there anyway to figure out if the rear wheel bearings are failing without taking everything apart? Is this a common thing for the rear wheel bearings to fail?
Old 12-03-2002 | 08:31 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Common.. not really... but it does happen. From what I have gathered here, when they go they create a thump thump feeling with tire rotation rather than noise. Mine howl a bit along with the thump thump. That sounded retarded.

You can try the wobble test like you would for checking a ball joint or tie rod, or spin the wheel with it in the air and see if you can track down the noise.

They are a real bitch to replace since they are pressed into the arms. The Haynes manual is pretty good on the write up if you want to tackle it. I am holding off on mine until next fall or winter, too many other things to finish first.

Quick Reply: Need advice about car problems