Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 951 mod story pt 3 - boost rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:58 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My 951 mod story pt 3 - boost rocks!

For the last week and a half, I've been trying to find out why my boost was unstable, sometimes I could get up to 20psi for about a second, other times I could only get around 12psi no matter how or where I drove. Everything before the throttle body has been upgraded... or so I thought. I totally forgot about the stock cycling valve. Since it was modified slightly to not recycle, I could see in neighboring areas that it was dumping a lot of boost.

I ordered up a generic adjustable blow off valve (0.8bar to 2.2bar in 0.1 bar increments) from demon tweaks, set it at 1.2 bar, popped the sucker in, and wow, what a difference. Finally, I've reached pump fuel detonation limits, at 14psi, I get light pinging, at 16psi, moderate pinging. I didn't go much further than that.

The car really rockets now. I'm still on winter tires (225/50-16 rears) and on dry roads, I can spin the tires in 3rd gear when the boost hits if I floor it at 1200rpm. On a lightly damp day, I scared myself silly by getting the rear end all out of shape, in 4th gear.

I did a 1/4 mile run with the GTech Pro at the usual place, and I had a hell of a time controlling wheelspin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Managed a 0-60 time of 5.6s (wheelspin) and a 1/4 mile time of 12.89s @ 119mph. I think I can do a lot better when summer rolls around.

As for fuel specs, my 72#/hr injectors (3 bar fixed fuel pressure) is running at 81% duty at 16psi, 6750rpm. Next on the list... tuning on 103 octane "street legal race fuel". Stay tuned!
Old 01-23-2002, 01:39 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Rage,
That's just simply awesome! Maybe somebody out there could do a little hp calc. based on the injector flow rate and duty cycle. Mine comes out @ 466.56 hp!
Whoa!
Old 01-23-2002, 02:35 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Rage,

Thanks for posting updates on your quest for speed.

We all benefit from each others experiences. I wish I could add, but you are far ahead of where I am at. I have owned my 951 for only 6 months now and have been only able to perform the required maintenance items (belts, water pump, motor mounts, fuel vapor in cab, detailing). Currently I have the trans out and I am about to install a centerforce clutch, lightened flywheel and rear main seal.

Keep up the great posts, and be carefull with all your new found POWER!

I look forward reading more on your saga!
Old 01-23-2002, 06:41 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

Thumbs up

RAGE2,
The car sounds hot! Have you had it on a dynojet (before/during/after any of the mod's)? I run 20psi-5th(at min.100 octane), AFM shows slightly rich. I have never heard any pinging with my setup, so get some good gas and have a blast. It is addictive though!
We are having a dyno day at Technodyne on 01/26/01, so I'll post my results.
regards,
Paul
Old 01-23-2002, 06:49 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Dynojet results are coming soon, just putting the final touches on the fuel/boost settings before getting a real HP number. I'll probably be dynojetting on 103 octane.

I've only dyno'd my car once, after my first rebuild. I peaked at 262hp at the wheels. Not bad for my stock K26-6. (Edit : Need caffine... not stock, Autothority Stage 2)
Old 01-23-2002, 08:23 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Rage,

I'm having all sorts of problems getting my car to run with 55# Siemens injectors. My car blows white smoke when I idle for a few minutes. Tell me more about your settup with the 72#ers. Who makes the injectors? Are they peak and hold type? What fuel management do you use. What is your fuel pressure? What does your car idle like? Thanks!!
Old 01-23-2002, 08:30 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't the SDS dial back ignition when it senses knock? Or maybe your sensitivity setting is too low?
Old 01-23-2002, 11:38 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Sick man... sick.

Hope to run with you at some point!

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-24-2002, 12:55 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Danno:
<STRONG>Shouldn't the SDS dial back ignition when it senses knock? Or maybe your sensitivity setting is too low?</STRONG>
It does knock it back, but I keep turning up the boost until retarding ignition doesn't do much good. We have really crappy fuel in Calgary.

I put in some 103 Octane race fuel this morning, and I've dialed up to 18psi without any knock or retard on a short drive to work. Car's STARTING to scare me now =).

I'm going to see how far I can take the boost to this afternoon on my lunch break. I really wish the track was open... would make tuning much easier (and safer).
Old 01-24-2002, 12:59 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by David Salama:
<STRONG>Rage,

I'm having all sorts of problems getting my car to run with 55# Siemens injectors. My car blows white smoke when I idle for a few minutes. Tell me more about your settup with the 72#ers. Who makes the injectors? Are they peak and hold type? What fuel management do you use. What is your fuel pressure? What does your car idle like? Thanks!!</STRONG>
Not sure who makes the injectors or what type they are, all I know is they run 3 bar fixed fuel pressure. Engine management is done with an SDS EM3-F system, so I can dial in my fuel at any rpm/boost/temperature. My car idles perfectly at 850rpm (I have to replace the idle vaccuum thingy, sometimes the idle shoots up to 1400rpm when the temperature goes really cold). There's no more smoke out my exhaust, not even under full boost shifts like it did initially. Just flames out the exhaust when I bump the rev limiter, which I do accidently quite often now. Gears seems to go by reallly fast.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I'm really pumped about the job you've done with the SDS Rage. I have succumbed to the urge finally. My SDS is enroute as we speak.
I'll be going from a totally stock set-up to whatever I can get out of the K26 with an open intake and the SDS for the first go around.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Fried Chicken Fred
Track Day

O/T

David Salama-

Are you related to the Speedvision driver Don Salama?
Old 01-24-2002, 01:52 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<STRONG>I'm really pumped about the job you've done with the SDS Rage. I have succumbed to the urge finally. My SDS is enroute as we speak.
I'll be going from a totally stock set-up to whatever I can get out of the K26 with an open intake and the SDS for the first go around. </STRONG>
Cool stuff. Let me know if you need any help. I'll dig up my settings for my stock injectors when you need them, they should work fairly well for you with minor tweaks.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:59 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russ,

Please keep us informed on the SDS install and setup. I am considering doing the same and would be very interested in what is required. Are you planning to do the same crank sensor mods that rage2 did?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Rob,
Yes, it seeems like the best way to position their (SDS) sensor. I've got the radiused hunk of aluminum in my hands now!

Quick Reply: My 951 mod story pt 3 - boost rocks!