Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

High Sodium in Oil Analysis ??? need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Steve Cooper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post High Sodium in Oil Analysis ??? need advice

I found some white sludge on the underside of my '86 951's oil filler cap. I have noticed a very slight amount amount of coolant loss, about two cups every oil change. Fearing that I have a coolant leak into the oil, I had an engine oil analysis performed.

As well, I did a cylinder leak down test a few days ago and had results on all 4 cylinders that ranged from 7-10%- that's good according to my gauge. I did a compression test at the same time that showed 150-155 psi on all cylinders.

Here are the results of the engine oil analysis and they confuse me a bit. Perhaps some experts on oil or coolant issues can help interpret what may be going on.

The report printout listed some test conclusions based on the sampled data below.
It indicated the following items as normal for the engine's age and mileage - 120,000:
Air filter, bearings, bushings, camshaft, crankshaft, cylinders, engine block, piston rings, pistons, wear metals, sludge potential, fuel content, water content.
It listed the following item as abnormal based on high sodium reading: Coolant content

Oddly, the test indicated 0.0% water or glycol. I would expect if there was coolant present, some glycol would show in the test. Any clever ideas about why the sodium could be showing up up? a thought on my end- Are the valves sodium alloy?

Here's the sampled data-

PPM Normal/Abnormal
Aluminum 31 N
Chromium 6 N
Copper 21 N
Iron 26 N
Lead 17 N
Potassium 18 N
Silicon 18 N
Sodium 65 A
%
Fuel 1.7 N
Glycol 0.0 N
Water 0.0 N
Old 11-30-2002, 12:03 AM
superjet.1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve im glad your headgasket is in tact.The sodium in your oil is most probably a byproduct of either a oil additive and or synthetic oil compound but nether is detrimental.

Quick Reply: High Sodium in Oil Analysis ??? need advice