Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What's the waste gate doing under vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002 | 11:14 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Question What's the waste gate doing under vacuum?

I was wondering this because some of you guys vent it to the atmosphere. So... would you worry about getting jets of fire coming out under the car instead of out the tail pipe?

Justin
Old 11-29-2002 | 01:33 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I think you probably would get jets of fire, not under vacumn, but whenever the wastegate opens up when you're hitting whatever boost limit you're running.
Old 11-29-2002 | 02:40 PM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

uhhh... the wastegate isnt the blow off valve.
Old 11-29-2002 | 03:58 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

[quote] uhhh... the wastegate isnt the blow off valve. <hr></blockquote>
Which doesn't mean some folks don't run it's exhaust straight out into the atm. with or without it's own muffler.
Old 11-29-2002 | 07:30 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

well, what you get is LOUD when the wastegate opens (under boost) and nothing when it stays closed under vacuum. if you're running wildly rich rally style anti-lag, then yeah, i guess you could shoot flames from under your car. i would not advise this.
Old 11-29-2002 | 07:34 PM
yoyoguy2
Racer

on second thought, anti-lag only affects things when you let off the gas (to keep the turbo spooled w/less flow) so i suppose the wastegate would be closed, meaning you'd get old fashioned tailpipe flames. there may be circumstances that would cause under car flaming, but not that much. there isn'ta constant fire in your exhaust, or at least there better not be, so what you'd mostly notice venting to atm would be noise, lots of it. if you see do see flames, i'd say you've got a problem
Old 12-01-2002 | 04:31 AM
Danno
Race Director

Talking

Yeah, flames coming out of your intake before the turbo would seem to indicate some major problems.

Here's a thread on flaming exhausts: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=002110" target="_blank"> Topic: A bit rich...but my buddy's CBR600 can't keep up! </a>
Old 12-01-2002 | 04:13 PM
Edman951
Pro

[quote]I was wondering this because some of you guys vent it to the atmosphere. So... would you worry about getting jets of fire coming out under the car instead of out the tail pipe? <hr></blockquote>
Well in my case, with the mods i have i don't get fire coming out of my dump pipe but it think if i would hit the revlimiter in first gear maybe it would trow a small flame.
Also i run with a bov that blows to the atmosphere and i don't get flames even by running rich when the wastegate open.
With a curved dumptube it's safer too.
Here's mine.
Old 12-01-2002 | 07:02 PM
Mledbetter
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by JustinL:
<strong>I was wondering this because some of you guys vent it to the atmosphere. So... would you worry about getting jets of fire coming out under the car instead of out the tail pipe?

Justin</strong><hr></blockquote>

If it's working, the wasgate shouldn't be doing anything under vacuum. It *should* be closed 100% and allowing all exhaust to go to the turbo. It only functions when the turbo creates more boost than you (or the factory) wants. It's a big bleed-off valve.

Some cars get flames out the tail-pipe because the exhaust is hot and ignites fuel if you are running insanely rich.

The wastegate dump tube/pipe should never be hot enough to ignite fuel.

My 2 cents...

-Matt

Quick Reply: What's the waste gate doing under vacuum?