Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for a 88 or 89 2.5 turbo S short or long block

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:51 PM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking for a 88 or 89 2.5 turbo S short or long block

I'm looking for a stock 88 or 89 turbo S complete short or long block in GC with preferably less than 70k miles. Whether it's a short or long block, doesn't matter. Any leads will be appreciated.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:13 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhhhh... why not an '86, '87, or '88 non S block?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:37 AM
lejams
Pro

TonyG,

This is a learning curve situation for me. I'm concerned that there may be some differences between the 88 & 89 turbo S blocks, as they are stamped with the #52 indicating so. So far the only differences I'm aware of are the coolant sensor fittings which I understand are drilled different on the S blocks. I understand this is easyily remidied by drilling/tapping/installing an adapter. Are there any other differences that you are aware of or should be concerened about?

I suppose I'm just trying to play it safe by wanting to replace the engine with a "like" block. Btw, If you saw my profile, you know the way the car is set up. Recently #4 exaust valve burned a nice hole and when the head was removed the ugly reared it's head in cylinder #1, deep & broad scoring. Never even knew it was occurring :-(

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:44 AM
lejams
Pro

Hey the spell checker doesn't work very well does it?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:56 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Don't worry about the year. Just focus on getting a block that is in good shape.

I think, and I could be wrong here, you can use the auto tensioner even on an early turbo block (86, 87, 88 non S). I think the mounting holes are there or at least the bosses are there to be used.

In any event, the tensioner would be the only thing I would be concerned about (being able to use a manual or auto tensioner). Even then, the auto tensioner is not really an auto tensioner in that it doesn't constanty tension the belt, etc...

All it does is allow you to set the initial belt tension without the tensioner gauge.

Pretty trivial difference.

Again... concern yourself with getting a good block. Milage is irrelevant as a good block is a good block.

Also... (shameless plug) I will be having a 2.8L short block for sale here real soon.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:00 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

lejams

Nice car BTW!
Old 06-29-2003, 01:44 AM
lejams
Pro

Regarding the Auto-tensioner - I forgot about it. You are correct that the older blocks have the bosses. Porsche must have known in the advanced planning stages that they would be using the tensioner, other wise they would not have cast the bosses.

Mileage is irrelevant except that preferably, I'd like to find a complete/short-block that I can use as is more or less. Do you know if there are any differences in the internals of the 88 or 89 S blocks compared with the older blocks?

Providing the party is shooting straight with me, I do know of a long block for sale from a wrecked 88 turbo S stored about 4 yrs. He states but cannot verify that it has less than 30K on it. The Owner wants a premium for it and the location is a very long drive for me as I will not purchase unseen/un-inspected. Even that is risky when considering paying such a premium. I'm in no rush so I'm continuing the search.

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-29-2003, 01:53 AM
lejams
Pro

TonyG,

I'm interested in hearing the details about your 2.8 although one of the reasons I'm looking to continue with a stock setup is the cost factor. I assume changing to the 2.8 increases my costs because I would not be able to re-use many of my parts?
Old 06-29-2003, 02:05 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

lejams

The thing with blocks is that they can look OK, but not be. You have all sorts of measurements that need to be taken to be sure it's OK to use as-is.

Is he selling just the block? If so, then you do not know for sure that your pistons will work in that block.

Is it a short block (assembled block with crank/pistons & rings/piston pins/connecting rods & bearings/crank & bearings, and oil pan and assembled balance shafts, etc... all assembled)?

If so, then you stand a better chance it being "good out-of-the-box".

If it's just a bare block, then you better know what you are doing!

And you are correct about the 2.8L costing more. It (at least this one) will cost more because the crank/rods/pistons/rings/oil pan, etc... are not stock, and are expensive components to purchase etc...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:32 AM
lejams
Pro

Ok then, the 2.8 is probably out of range. Currently, I have other irons in the fire and I cannot let this untimely event become too costly or complicated.

Re: the engine I spoke of, it is a complete engine. It's out of the car with the head, intake manifold, turbo, exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, etc. all still attached, or, as the owner phrased it, it's more like what this engine doesn't have. I have seen pics of the engine to verify this much.

I am thinking of using some FF miles and flying to see & inspect the engine. The owner stated as a serious prospect, I can remove the head and inspect. However, even after doing this I won't be assured that everything is kosher. As I said, he wants a premium so I'd be risking some serious dollars if things didn't pan out after the purchase.

So although this may be a good engine, I want to explore some other sources if they are available.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:52 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Yeah, VERY nice car!

Out of curiousity, why aren't you considering sleeving your existing block?

Regards,
Old 06-29-2003, 03:33 AM
lejams
Pro

I have heard of occasions of a sleeve moving, so I have questions of reliability. I have also heard, (might have read it on this board), that it is an art to perform and few are up to the task. Opinions vary about this, but I'm skeptical thus far.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 88 or 89 2.5 turbo S short or long block