Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AVC-R Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:03 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post AVC-R Install Pics

Well I have my AVC-R 98% installed. I didn't get to test it that much except without the old cycling valve caped. I saw the boost was higher in the lower gears than before but I need more time to play but that will not happen untill the snow clears off the streets.

I caped off the old cycling valve until I have to take the intake off for another reason then I will remove all unnecessary items.

I tied the pressure sensor to the other stuff on the fire wall so I didn't have to drill any holes.

This was the best spot I could think of to put the solenoid valve so I didn't have to drill holes into the body of the car.

I wanted to keep the scramble switch out of sight but within reach. I plan on setting it up for a higher boost setting for those times when I want a little more power. I put a SPDT switch under the ashtray for the injector setting since everybody says this doesn't work I figured I don't need acess to it that often.

This is where I plant to mount the main unit probably outlined with black plexy glass or something once I get the a pillar gauge pod to mount my boost gauge in.

I would like to thank everybody who helped me to get this installed!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:09 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

So how would you rate the install? I am rebuilding my engine myself and am thinking of buying an AVC-R. Are there any parts needed other than what comes with the unit? Are there many parts that need fabricating?
Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-22-2002, 12:04 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Cris with the help of this board I would rate the install a 2 (1=easy stereo install 5=hard major engine work). Since I didn't have to figure out which wires I had to connect to that made things go alot easier. I have a text document that was sent to me that I could forward to you if you want. You might also want to check out this thread http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/r...&f=18&t=000493 there was alot of usefull information there.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Tazzmann,
Glad to hear the install went well and as planned. I have been so busy with college I have not had time to install mine yet. I can't wait till it warms up though so I can install it and drive it! vrooooom...

Dan
PS: Assuming you purchased from the same place I did for $399?
Old 01-23-2002, 12:40 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Yeah Dan I got it for the same price that post is what made me decide to get it. It looks like i might be able to play with it a little this week. With the warmer temps I think the roads will be clear by the end of the week. Good luck with your install!
Old 01-25-2002, 06:02 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Just curious if you had the install all finished with pictures? Do you like it? I'm really excited about getting mine installed!!
Old 01-25-2002, 09:06 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Dan today was the first day I had to drive the car after the install was complete because of the weather. I like the peak hold feature but right now it isn't doing me much good because it is in kg/cm2. I have no idea what that is in PSI and I need somebody to help me watch my VDO boost gauge because of where it is sitting until the a pillar pod shows up. I can tell you that I am getting more boost in 1st and 2nd gear than I was but I am still not getting what I get in the upper gears. I will keep you posted when I figure more things out.

Can somebody help me with a conversion for the kg/cm2 to PSI?

Also I don't think I am hiting the boost pressure I program in. Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2002, 09:34 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

14.2psi == 1 kg/cm2
14.5psi == 1 bar

If you're used to working in bar, it's almost a 1:1 ratio (1 bar == 1.02kg/cm2).

The AVC-R doesn't just go and "hit" the boost level you set. The boost level you set is your target boost level. You adjust the duty up slowly until you hit that boost level without exceeding it. Afterwards, it'll start to learn your boost curve to attempt to hit that boost level across the entire rpm range.

You'll know it's got a decent read when the duty becomes a *. That's when it'll start learning. It takes quite a few 3rd gear runs to get a good enough reading, so find some open road =).

Here's a video I did with my AVC-R in action last night. A 3rd gear run at low boost, 3rd gear run at high boost, and a short 4th gear run. Boost fluctuates right now because I'm only using a fixed duty cycle, haven't had the time (or road) to get it to learn a boost curve yet.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:34 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Rage that was a cool video, looks like you were having trouble keeping it on the road? In other words I could hear your rpms screaming like the tires were breaking loose. Have any more videos? Man I miss my car (in storage).

Dan
Old 01-26-2002, 12:40 AM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the translation Rage2. It seems I have another problem though I took the car out with another peson to read my boost gauge but things were not working like they were earlier today. When I had just the LBE I was runing 17PSI and it would hold pretty good throughout 3rd and 4th gear and I would get around 10PSI in 1st and 2nd. Earlier today when I went out the boost was holding good max at 1.1BAR that was with the duty cycle learnt already and a setting up to 1.3 on the AVC-R. I went out again tonight and the boost would get up to 1.1 or 1.2 with the AVC-R set to 1.4 then drop down to about .7 almost right after it hit the peak. What do you guys think is going on? I'm thinking the waste gate is probably going bad. Once the AVC-R opens it to bleed off some of the boost it stays open. What do I do to confirm this run the car with the hose from the solenoid pinched shut and slowly build up boost and see if it holds? If anybody has any other sugestions I would like to hear them!

Thanks
Old 01-26-2002, 01:55 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Dan87951:
<STRONG>Rage that was a cool video, looks like you were having trouble keeping it on the road? In other words I could hear your rpms screaming like the tires were breaking loose. Have any more videos? Man I miss my car (in storage).

Dan</STRONG>
As soon as the weather co-operates... I just shoveled 2 feet of snow from my driveway. Roads have about 3-6 inches of snow. Lots of cars getting stuck. Surprisingly, my 951 is running great in this weather. These Michellin Alpin's rock! I might make a video of me driving in this awful weather, some folks on another forum don't believe that I drive my 951 year round in Canadian winters.

Originally posted by tazzmann:
<STRONG>Thanks for the translation Rage2. It seems I have another problem though I took the car out with another peson to read my boost gauge but things were not working like they were earlier today. When I had just the LBE I was runing 17PSI and it would hold pretty good throughout 3rd and 4th gear and I would get around 10PSI in 1st and 2nd. Earlier today when I went out the boost was holding good max at 1.1BAR that was with the duty cycle learnt already and a setting up to 1.3 on the AVC-R. I went out again tonight and the boost would get up to 1.1 or 1.2 with the AVC-R set to 1.4 then drop down to about .7 almost right after it hit the peak. What do you guys think is going on? I'm thinking the waste gate is probably going bad. Once the AVC-R opens it to bleed off some of the boost it stays open. What do I do to confirm this run the car with the hose from the solenoid pinched shut and slowly build up boost and see if it holds? If anybody has any other sugestions I would like to hear them!

Thanks</STRONG>
The feedback speed might be off for your wastegate. Did you learn the gears? If so, go to the F/B speed. If it's underboosting, turn down the F/B speed. If it's off, start off with a middle number (5) then slowly turn down the speed to get the proper max boost (or turn up the speed if you're overboosting). If I remember correctly, I used a setting of 3 for all 5 gears on my stock wastegate (It's been a while). You can set this for every gear to ensure you get the same amount of boost at all times.

One other item, check the "learned" boost curve, at over 5000rpm (approx) the duty should be 100%. That's about when the turbo fully runs out of steam.

Once you get the boost dialed in for all 5 gears, you can edit the boost curve, so it's not flat. Add more boost on the bottom end, you can set rpm specific boost levels, and it'll automatically update the duty cycle to your settings. It's really a lot of fun =).
Old 01-26-2002, 02:19 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Rage2 the AVC had learn all gears and the duty cycle then I started to turn up the boost. Was it a mistake to learn the duty cycle at a lower boost level then turn up the boost? I want to make sure I hooked up the solenoid properly also I went from the banjo bolt to [NO] input then out from [com] to the waste gate. Is that correct for a single port wastegate? In the manual they show a dual port wastegate and you connect the [NC] to the banjo bolt. I followed the diagram on page 41.

I will try setting the F/B Speed like you suggested. I am not sure where to check the "learned" boost curve at though.
Old 01-26-2002, 05:09 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by tazzmann:
<strong>Thanks Rage2 the AVC had learn all gears and the duty cycle then I started to turn up the boost. Was it a mistake to learn the duty cycle at a lower boost level then turn up the boost? I want to make sure I hooked up the solenoid properly also I went from the banjo bolt to [NO] input then out from [com] to the waste gate. Is that correct for a single port wastegate? In the manual they show a dual port wastegate and you connect the [NC] to the banjo bolt. I followed the diagram on page 41.

I will try setting the F/B Speed like you suggested. I am not sure where to check the "learned" boost curve at though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know if it was a mistake, but what I do is set a target boost that I want, then use the rpm based boost curve settings to tweak what I need. I don't know if the AVC-R is accurate for big boost changes (never tried).

To see the learned duty cycle for your target boost, go highlight the Duty Cycle (shows a *) and press NEXT. That'll show the RPM based duty cycle. Do the same for BOOST to set rpm based boost settings.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:19 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Well I was out again it still isn't right the F/B speed helped reach a higher boost but it still droped off. Can somebody confirm that I have the solenoid hooked up right? I just went out and checked the RPM based duty cycle and it is only at 65% at high RPM with it set at 1.1 so I figure I will initialize the unit and start all over again. I just want to be sure I have the solenoid hooked up properly before I go out again. I did notice while I had the solenoid monitor up on the screen that it hit 90% but droped right down is that just because it overshot the 65%?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2002, 08:47 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Ok just got back and Can you tell it went well? I learned that the boost pressure you set I don't think the AVC-R actualy cares about that. The duty cycle is what makes a difference that must be set properly. I was able to hit .9 kg/cm2 in 1st gear and 1.08 kg/cm2 in 2nd gear. I have the F/B Speed set at 1 in 1st and 2 in 2nd. I could easily hit 1.2 kg/cm2 in all other gears. I didn't have an assistant so this was done with the peak hold feature so I am not sure when the boost started to drop off and actualy I was overshooting 1.2 with the F/B Speed set at 5 in the upper gears so I was letting off the gas. Oh and my duty cycle is set at 85% and I will probably have to lower it to keep it under 1.2 kg/cm2 at least until I get an air/fuel meter to make sure I am not runing lean. Is pinging very noticeable? Either I never experienced it or I have no clue!

Thanks

Quick Reply: AVC-R Install Pics