Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balance shaft spacers are really tight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance shaft spacers are really tight.

I am in the process of doing the front seals and timing belt. I have the main seal done and now I am working on the balance shaft seals. The spacer seems really tight when I am trying to put it back on. Is there a secret to getting it to slide on nicely?

I have tried to coat the spacer with bearing grease. I tried a shot of WD40, but it is really hard to get on.

Any suggestions?

Michael
Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Got it by turning around the old spacer and using a wooden hammer to push it on as far as possible. Then I was able to use the pulley bolt to get some leverage and get it on the rest of the way so that I can insert the key.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Make sure you've got the correct seal in the correct spot. The upper seal is 30x47, while the lower is 30x48.

When installing the spacer, you've pretty much got to lube it up and shove it in there like you did, just make sure you didn't damage the outer seal lip in the process. Do a good visual inspection with a small mirror so you can see all the way around before you install the gear.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

I read lots of horror stories about getting the seals mixed up. I confirmed the size and part numbers to the PET and also confirmed the direction arrows on the seals. I am certain I have the seals on the right spots. The spacers had the same part number. The spacers were just really tight and didn't slide on easily.

Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply: Balance shaft spacers are really tight.