Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dry Sump Oil Pump foaming Video

We posted links to 4 videos just received from Dailey showing the difference between a standard oil pump used on a dry sump system and their pump with oil separator being used and the amount of oil foam generated from each set-up.

They had a custom clear oil sump tank made and what you see is something
very enlightening. These videos are not available elsewhere so you're the first to see them. Enjoy!

Links are on our Dry Sump web page after the 3rd picture for the top.

View Here

What made sense to get as our optional upgraded pump we offer is now backed up by visual "see for yourself" proof they work.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words. I'm sold on the improvement! If only money grew on trees...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting video. We always used barnes and aviad pumps on our usac midget, makes me wonder how bad they foamed. I'll have to keep this in mind, at the cost of those motors this is definately something to think about. We've been thinking of building another midget!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM
TX951
Instructor

What kind of oil was used in these tests?

Some have antifoaming additives, some don't.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The Dailey pump is the way to go, I have been using them for a while.
The air / oil separator is very important for several reasons – deaerating the oil allows for putting the oil cooler on the send side (from the pump to the tank). This is nicer than putting the cooler on the pressure side of the pump – better to have no restrictions on the feed into the engine. Also the deaeration by the pump means that you don’t have to rely on the traditional round tank with tangential entry to deaerate the oil – you can go with a much smaller and custom shaped tank.

I learned about the Dailey pumps quite a few years ago from a friend of mine that builds high end circle track engine. The typical dry sump pumps had to be rebuilt several times per year (some of these guys race 3 times per week) but the Dailey pumps were going several years without rebuilding.

Nice stuff! BTW – Both the LeMans GTE class winners used Dailey pumps!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 AM
flipo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the LR dry sump system with this pump and i'm very happy with it .It's a big investment ,but if you look at what you risk on running a high hp engine without a proper oiling system the advantages are realy clear.When i race my car at the track i do not have to worry about oil starvation ,that alone makes it worth it.Working with Mike and Dave Lindsey on this kind of projects makes things a lot easier.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Fredrik H
Instructor

I have the pump as well. Can´t really say that I´ve tested it yet, but the quality is great and I can say that the oil pressure is enough
Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

If using the pump with air/oil separator, what size oil tank is required for a 968 with a N/A (for now) motor?

Also, does anyone know of a tank that can fit WITHIN the 968’s engine compartment? Or will the 19x6” 2 gallon silo-shaped Peterson tank fit where the factory charcoal canister is within the fender?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by sm
If using the pump with air/oil separator, what size oil tank is required for a 968 with a N/A (for now) motor?

Also, does anyone know of a tank that can fit WITHIN the 968’s engine compartment? Or will the 19x6” 2 gallon silo-shaped Peterson tank fit where the factory charcoal canister is within the fender?

Thanks
if you are using a good air/oil separator then you don't need the classic round shaped oil tank. The classic tanks are round to act as an air/oil separator as the incoming oil swirls around the perimeter of the tank.
You could have a tank made in any shape to fit in where you want.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks Chris. What’s an optimal location within the engine bay, based on your extensive experience?

What about having a custom tank built and installed where the 968 air filter box is (if I end up using an ITB system&#129303 ? There seems to be plenty of space in that general area, though it will place all that weight relatively high up on the car.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by sm
Thanks Chris. What’s an optimal location within the engine bay, based on your extensive experience?

What about having a custom tank built and installed where the 968 air filter box is (if I end up using an ITB system&#129303 ? There seems to be plenty of space in that general area, though it will place all that weight relatively high up on the car.
the 968 woudl be a very tight fit in the engine compartment. I have never tried that. Not an issue for most dedicated track cars. One option is to put it in the spare tire well in the rear. If you do that then you will want to seal it off from the passenger compartment and vent it outside.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:29 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by sm

I was thinking on tank placement a while back and thought that a custom tank that sits were the washer reservoir sits would be a nice clean place and great for weight distribution in a 968. A small reservoir for the washer could be placed else were. Just an idea.

/Peder
Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by PF
I was thinking on tank placement a while back and thought that a custom tank that sits were the washer reservoir sits would be a nice clean place and great for weight distribution in a 968. A small reservoir for the washer could be placed else were. Just an idea.

/Peder
If we are really worried about 'race car type' weight distribution then adding polar momentum is just as bad as raising the center of gravity.....for a full on race car the passenger floor is the best location.
For street cars - don't worry that much - you cant generate the grip to a point that this matters!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:20 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
If we are really worried about 'race car type' weight distribution then adding polar momentum is just as bad as raising the center of gravity.....for a full on race car the passenger floor is the best location.
For street cars - don't worry that much - you cant generate the grip to a point that this matters!
I see what you mean but when I thought about that I was thinking a dedicated streetable trackcar that look and work like a stock car with different modifications made in a stealthy manner. Not a full on racecar. But as said just an idea for a custom placement.
If not to raise center of gravity the drivers side fender could be used were the coal canister sits as suggested by SM. In there a tank can be made to sit very low (floorlevel) kinda like Porsche did on the aircooled 911:s
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by PF
I see what you mean but when I thought about that I was thinking a dedicated streetable trackcar that look and work like a stock car with different modifications made in a stealthy manner. Not a full on racecar. But as said just an idea for a custom placement.
If not to raise center of gravity the drivers side fender could be used were the coal canister sits as suggested by SM. In there a tank can be made to sit very low (floorlevel) kinda like Porsche did on the aircooled 911:s
One often overlooked issue with dry sump systems is that they are vented - and you will get that hot oil smell often! So the tire well mounting point starts to look better (with a sealed top). Also better to get at it for any maintenance.

Quick Reply: Dry Sump Oil Pump foaming Video