Squealling noise from air con

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Squealling noise from air con

Hey Guys,

I've had my aircon re-gassed and all sorted and all has been fantastic.... until last night.. :-(

I was idling my 951S in my garage before I left for soccer practice. It was 35 degree's celsius so I hit turned the aircon on.

Almost immediately I'm treated with a high pitched sort of screaming / squealing sound at idle. I turn the aircon off and the noise go's away. I touch the throttle with the aircon off and the noise goes away..

Now - is there a belt or something on the aircon that I could replace to remove that sound?

Also - the A/C Tech that regassed the system told me that the teflon was coming off the pistons inside the compressor. He said the compressor was on the way out and would cost about $1000-1200 to fit and replace..

Is there anyway I can get a reco A/C compressor?

Note - the aircon still worked fine when I drove.

Help

Michael

944 Turbo S
Old 01-10-2002, 08:35 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Michael, if the belt is still in good condition you can adjust the tension on the belt to get rid of the squeal. Too much squeal and the belt will ultimately break...and remember, it's the same belt that runs your alternator...no charge...no go! If it's been a while since you changed the belt I'd go ahead and do it now. Check the pulleys too to make sure there isn't any corrosion in the valleys where the belt runs.

Your mechanics estimate on replacing the compressor seems to be a bit on the high side.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Thanks Jason,

I will get it done in the coming weekend to ensure all is well.

I noticed on the Paragon Products site you have an a/c alternator belt.. Is this the one that I'm going to be needing?

Also - is it easy to get at the alternator to tighten the belts?

Ta
M
Old 01-11-2002, 03:28 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M, no it is not easy to get at the alternator on a 951. But you are moving the A/C compressor to adjust the Alt/AC belt. Your quoted price for compressor replacement from mechanic seems fair, I think Jason was thinking in USD$ not OZ peso.

BUT, if you just had the A/C worked on what is the deal? I would think they would have looked at the belts and adjusted or replaced. Anyway, the belt is pretty standard and you don't need to order it from overseas. As long as you are there, check out the power steering belt and have that replaced if required. Both these belts are pretty cheap.

Finally, have your mechanic look for the alternator cooling duct hose. If that is in bad shape or missing have it replaced. It is cheap also but getting it on without taking lots of stuff off the car is a real bear if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:38 AM
Michael Robertson
Intermediate

Hey Again Ice,

The guy at the A/C shop actually told me that my compressor was on the way out, and would probably last about 18 months tops.

He said the oil was getting very black due to some of the teflon coming off the pistons in it.

It's his aforementioned comments that made me a bit worried about the whole A/C assembly for a start.

After that I took the car on my summer vacation, over 1000k's driving in hard hills, coastal driving. Even though I babied the car it still got quite a work out so I imagine that the belt got pulled out of alignment on one of those many drives.

My Mechanic is going to sort it for me next weekend so all should be well.. Hopefully I just need to adjust it, not replace it.

Micahel

Quick Reply: Squealling noise from air con