Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BBS Wheels an Option on 951?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Jaxon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BBS Wheels an Option on 951?

Were 3 piece BBS wheels ever an option from the factory on 951's? I have a set which were on my '87 when I purchased. I think the previous owner said they were a factory option, but I can't be certain.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about the RS wheel? I don't believe so as I would think they would have matched the factory offset a little closer.

I recall when I bought my RS wheels some 10 years ago there was a lot of discussion on which offset to use. If they were offered by the factory BBS would have known which offset to use off the top of their head.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Jaxon
Racer

I am not familiar with the RS wheels. If I were proficient at posting a picture, that would be the solution. The wheels are BBS and are extremely light, even the lug nuts are light. I have had Boxster wheels on the car for some time, while I had the BBS' redone. The BBS wheels were wider in the back and the front almost scraped the paint when I turned. They handled twice as well as the Boxster wheels.

Sorry for the ignorance on wheels and tires but the tires on the rear wheels are P255/50 R16's.

Does that help?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Here is a photo of the RS wheel that showed up on a Google search:

<a href="http://www.zparts.com/ads/wheels/pages/skc-01.html" target="_blank">http://www.zparts.com/ads/wheels/pages/skc-01.html</a>

This one has the gold center, they also came in silver, which is what I have. But mine are 17".

I don't have the car handy to look at, but you should see part numbers cast into the center area of the wheel. Then you can figure out exactly what you have if you call BBS North America. I think they are in the Atlanta area. You probably want to figure out what the offset is on the front wheels so you know how close you are to rubbing the fender badly if you exit a driveway dip too fast.

The RS went out of production many years ago but was quite the hot seller back around 1990. You can still get parts from BBS if you bend a rim too badly.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Jaxon
Racer

THATS THE WHEEL!

Only mine is all silver. I need to find a couple of those 'BBS' Center Caps.

Anyway, they look great on the 951. Sounds as though you don't think they were offered from the factory. Funny...I think they look better than any other wheel I've seen on the car. But that's just my opinion. After I bought the Boxster wheels, I realized how much I liked the BBS'. They are a pain to keep clean.

Thanks for the info. !!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, mine are all silver too and I have people that come up to complement me on the wheels quite frequently.

Call BBS for the Center Caps. They still sold them as of 2 years ago, though I think they were sort of expensive. What else is new.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Were 3 piece BBS wheels ever an option from the factory on 951's </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">It was never a factory option, but it was very popular wheel in the late 80's.I used to have a set installed in my '89 BMW 325 when i bought it new.I still have a spare set of brand new centercaps (with BMW crest) in my garage.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">This one has the gold center, they also came in silver, which is what I have. But mine are 17".</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">They also came in black. We have a set on the '83 911 SC Cab.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like BMW is using these same BBS-RS wheels with a BMW-labeled center-cap on their 5-series cars from the late '90s.... wasn't there some thread on fitting BMW wheels to Porsches...?
Old 02-09-2003, 10:37 AM
krickmann
Instructor

My black 86 came with the gold center BBS RS wheels, bought aftermarket by the first owner when the car was new. I think they look great even with todays bad rap on gold trim! They're very appropriate for the era as many Porsche racing cars had the exact same wheels. I also remember seeing my first John Player Special F1 car in the seventies in their distinctive and striking black and gold paint scheme, thinking how sharp they looked.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Jaxon
Racer

krickmann-

Look Great on your car!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Porsche5050
Burning Brakes

those are my fave 951 wheels of all time

"you complete me" says the porsche

Quick Reply: BBS Wheels an Option on 951?