Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 Vs. 87+ 951 worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Garrity is a BIGGER, better engine that costs lots of $$. Again, there is no replacement for displacement!
Old 01-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Ross
Advanced

Thanks to all.

I'll drive the 86 today or tomorrow. Garrity is located about 4-5 hours away so I could easily leave the car with him to work on it...

The Garrity 2.7 951 is in the lead...Now I hope my buyer shows up to buy my D90!

Ross
Old 01-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Ross
Advanced

Update...

The buyer from my D90 showed up and seriously low balled me...He didn't even kiss me I haven't had any interest at all for weeks in it so I may have to take it. He will give me my asking price if I buy his 01 1-owner C5 6sp with 10K for $38K. I'm tempted but need a back seat so wifey says no go...

It appears my budget may be reduced a bit due to the low ball but the Garrity 2.7 is still in the running. It looks like I can play co-pilot for a free ride out to Cali to pick it up. However, I spoke with Garrity and he did some of the engine machining but he Did Not assemble the engine.
Also there is a roughly 40K mileage discrepency on CarFax(looks like a carfax screwup but that's near impossible to have them fix). Any opinions?

BTW, here is another seemingly nice 1987 951. unfortunately it is on the other Coast.
It's an 87 951 here is the ad:

"The Porsche being sold has 92,000 miles on the odo. The engine had a complete rebuild at 81,000 with camshaft from standard 944 for mid and topend power improvment. A new modified turbo charger from PowerHaus, new hoses, belts, roller kit, new water pump, rebuit power steering pump with new lines, new radiator, new super condenser form Griffiths. The head has been rebult with new guides, seals, head gasketand bolts. All vacuum lines replaced, new motor mounts, new clutch. The body is in very good condition with only a minor small scrape and one small ding. The interior is black and there is a small rip on the driver seat, the rear hatch rattles a bit and may need replacement. The sunroof needs 30 dollars in parts plus labor to work. the suspension has been upgraded to a complete Bllstein motorsport struts and shock with ajustable spring perches. The front springs have been replaced with a set of Eibach units, the driver side lower control arm may need replacement. The wheels are 17" aftermarket turbo twist with new Bridgestone Potenza SO-2 poles. One of the rims may be out of round which causes a shimmy, a nother set of rims were installed and the car rode fine. Sorry but at this price I have sell the car with the set with the bad rim. Other than what I have mentioned the car runs very well, I've invested well over 10,000 on her and am willing to sell for no less than ...

Whadda ya think...

Ross
Old 01-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That one sounds nice too but it's difficult to assess a car from a paragraph or two...There is only one way and that is to see, drive and have an inspection completed...I can see you traveling about the USA test driving 951's...What a great vacation...I like Minh's car as he has the receipts and some quality work done by Garrity...I wonder...Who assembled Minh's engine...

Good luck Ross and what a great dilemma to be in
Old 01-13-2002, 12:44 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Ross...given all the factors I would follow your line of thinking (in fact I am a little bit jealous)...Although I thought my plan of traveling the globe in search of the perfect 951 was a good idea

Whatever you decide please post a pile of pics for all of us to see...

Mike
Old 01-13-2002, 04:10 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Ross, in the pics you posted of the car with the 2.7ltr, it has the heat shield for the turbo missing and the waterpump for the turbo is missing, looks like the hose which runs to the pump is capped, which means the turbo installed on this engine is probably not water cooled...

Just something else to think about, when wieghing your choices...

Terry
Old 01-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Ross
Advanced

Terry,

You wrote:"the car with the 2.7ltr, it has the heat shield for the turbo missing and the waterpump for the turbo is missing, looks like the hose which runs to the pump is capped, which means the turbo installed on this engine is probably not water cooled..."

I don't know why that is done...is it good or bad or what effect does it have? I know it has an upgraded turbo is this typical? Help I really need to make a decision soon...

Ross
Old 01-20-2002, 10:22 PM
stupenal
Instructor

Hey Ross, maybe you should wait even more. Minh's been trying to sell that car for MONTHS now, and has been dropping the price pretty much every other week. I remember he was asking around 14k in the very beginning for it. Now its down to 11.5. So, maybe you should wait it out, if money is an important factor for you.

Quick Reply: 86 Vs. 87+ 951 worth the money?