Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Getting switched 12v off fuse block?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I said I was going to post my setup for anyone interested and finally got around to getting the camera out today:

Can't really see it in this photo but the sheet of metal is bent at a right angle to the same contour as the CC brain. I took the CC brain out of the car, then removed circuit board from the case (easy to do, just pry the tabs a bit and the whole board and connector end slide right out) then just bent my sheet of metal against the case. Then I just drilled some holes, put some machine screws them them then lock nutted them in place on the CC casing. There is enough clearance for the screw heads to sit in there and not touch the board so there should be no worry of shorting to the case.

After getting the machine screws mounted you slide the circuit board back in, then bend the tabs back in place to secure the board. I didn't want any rattling so I cut a square off a crappy Sham-Wow I had in the garage then contact cemented it to the CC brain.

Finally, this is where the barrier strip mounts. Those extra two holes drilled in it aren't a mistake but reliefs for the machine screw heads that go through the small piece of wood the barrier strip mounts. When the barrier strip is mounted they aren't visible (not that driver side footwell cleanliness is that important to most of us... maybe Crazy Eddie )

I feel this is one of the better places to locate this stuff, I can add or subtract circuits in minutes. The convenience, ease, and an extra layer of safety as opposed to just tapping a random +12 in the harness somewhere makes this a no-brain IMO, especially when you consider that you can make it for <$40 using parts you can buy at Autozone or, more than likely, already have sitting around.

Hope someone can find this useful!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scott, thanks for the pictures. I am actually working on all of this right now. Moving the grounding wires for my wideband over to the same point as the piggyback. Probably going to run out of time today but monday i am going to work on hooking up the aux. fuse panel. I took the old cruise control brain out today and like the idea of just taking the circuit board out.

I was going to try and mount my fuse block using the studs sticking out from the cruise box but unfortunately it wont fit with all the wiring bundles in the way. I saw the fuse block style you have at my local auto place and will go pick one up later and mess around with it tomorrow.

I looked at the picture before reading the descriptions.. "wait..is that a sham wow towel?" .

Quick Reply: Getting switched 12v off fuse block?