Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1988 Turbo S mechanical restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011 | 10:53 AM
JJK78
Racer

Default 1988 Turbo S mechanical restoration project

Greetings everyone!

It has been quite a while since I posted here but have just been busy. Some of you may remember my first post about 2 years ago trying to get this car started which you can check out here if you are interested: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...its-alive.html

At any rate I drove the car for about a year or so with about 12,000 miles and it had developed some of the standard issues, oil leaks, exhaust leaks, clutch had broken helper springs etc. so I decided to start tearing it apart about 6 months ago, well one thing lead to another or also known as "while you're in there". Well things are finally starting to come back together so I wanted to take a moment to share with folks who actually care! Here is a link to some pictures and a list of what I can remember off the top of my head:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...559.1109831536

Motor mounts replaced
Upper & lower balance shafts removed and resealed new micro seals etc.
replaced front main seal
replaced rear main seal
replaced pilot bearing
replaced oil seperator seals
replacing turbocharger oil line seals (looking for upgraded turbo BTW)
replaced all oil cooler seals
and breath...
rebuilt cylinder head - titanium retainers, stock springs, very healthy porting and a few other trick things - it should really POP
rebuilt cam housing, powdercoated black and painted red, milled top and bottom.
Intake manifold port matched to head, thermal coated to reduce intake temps
new timing and b-shaft belts
new water pump
Lindsey Racing blue silicon cooling hose kit
new expansion tank
new turbocharger coolant pump
new thermostats
and breath...
Installed new Kennedy Engineering pressure plate
New porsche 930 clutch disc
new throwout bearing
all other clutch components replaced except fork! (hydraulics also replaced previously due to leakage)

And while the transmission is out I am having it inspected and rebuilt with new syncros too.

I also plan to build my own custom 3" exhaust for it.

If you have read this far I thank you and have a request. I would like to go ahead and put a set of headers on the car and upgrade the turbocharger so I don't have to go through pulling that crap off again!! I am already way over budget on this thing but if you or anyone else you know has a set of headers or a good turbo for sale let me know. nothing massive, like a t3/t4 hybrid. Or if anyone can recommend a good place to rebuild my K26/8 and put a k27 compressor on it at a good price I would be interested in that as well.
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:16 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

I was wondering when you would post again. I still enjoy watching the video of it starting up for the first time! As far as a rebuild, I have heard that Lindsey Racing has fair prices.
Old 06-12-2011 | 11:23 AM
JJK78
Racer

Thanks Dillion. I am going to talk with the folks at Lindsey soon, is anyone on here running the Super 53? I feel the Super 61 may be a bit more lag then I want. I would like to just get mine rebuilt with the K27 but the only quote I have gotten was just as much as buying a new turbo which dosen't make sense.
Old 06-12-2011 | 12:21 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

I have a LR 65 on my car, but its currently getting an engine rebuild due to a cracked block after putting on several mods from Lindsey Racing. I will say Lindsey Racing are great people. They know these cars inside and out and will help out with significant purchases.

Also- I'm in Woodstock, GA, let me know if you need any help, plus I'd love to see the car.

Chris
Old 06-12-2011 | 12:36 PM
JJK78
Racer

Thanks Chris, help is always appreciated but I am lucky enough to be working at a shop right now which is the only reason I took on the project! How is the driveability with the 65 on the car? Still a 2.5L? I am not trying to blow myself a way with max power numbers but would like to put a solid 375-400 down to the tires, with the ability to go a bit higher if needed. Hopefully once I work out the final details it will be back together in a few weeks.
Old 06-12-2011 | 12:40 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Well my story is a long one. I had a bunch of mod parts put on the car including the LR Super 65, LR Quad MAF, chips, mafterburner, 3 inch exhaust etc. During road tuning the head gasket blew, pulled the head and saw a cracked cylinder. My car is an 86 with 39,000 miles on it. It was originally owner by a guy in Maine and spent a lot of time sitting so not sure exactly how the block cracked but I'm convinced it didn't happen when my mechanic was tuning it as he only drove it a mile or so.

Long story short, Lindsey Racing is in the process of building me a 3 liter. I should have my car running again in early August.
Old 06-12-2011 | 12:45 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

also 375-400 rwhp on a 2.5 is stretching it. My first 951 had a Vitesse stage 2 kit, 3 inch exhaust, Lindsey Racing Level 1 head work and but 342 down on pump fuel at 17 psi. On race fuel I probably could have gotten 360-370 rwhp at 20psi. These cars with 340 rwhp are monsters. Not sure if your car is just a street car, if so then most of the time you'll be in the first 2/3rds of the rpm range. The goal should be quick spool with a nice linear TQ curve. That's what my first one had and it was a blast. Either Vitesse (Who is located in Alpharetta, John from Vitesse is a great guy) or Lindsey Racing are IMO the best choices for bolt on kits.
Old 06-12-2011 | 01:09 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Since you're local and since John at Vitesse makes great stuff, why don't you give him a call? I'm ***** deep in a similar project with my 86, and have found the local resources in ATL to be phenomenal. I've got Vitesse setting up the Turbo, Eagle Machine in did the head work, and Kerry Singley is doing all the mechanicals that I can't. Motor is currently out of the car for another few weeks and then I'll probably have one of the ugliest fast // fastest ugly 951s around.

Tim
Old 06-12-2011 | 01:09 PM
JJK78
Racer

That really sucks about your motor but should be pretty sweet when it's done. Yeah 375 may be a bit on the high side but a guy can dream right How much power do you think your new 3.0 will make?

Hopefully the cylinder head makes a good difference, it is a street car that will see DE time, but with big port job just short of a race port, plus it was milled down quite a bit. As I mentioned I am more interested in it being a good driveable car rather then a HP monster. Car currently has a set of Autothority chips and a LR boost enhancer, and will be pulling off the cat and going to run a 3" all the way back. May do a 3" downpipe if I go with a bigger turbo but the more I think about it the more I want to take my stock 26/8 and make a hybrid out of it.

Thanks Tim, to be honest I didn't realize Vitesse was here in ATL At this point I am sorta piecing things together and will probably be keeping the stock air meter for now with some reconfiguring, but may have to give him a call and talk turbo options, thanks!
J
Old 06-12-2011 | 01:31 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

I would replace the authority chips with Lindsey Racing Max 951 chips. Those Authority chips are 1990's technology and aren't what they said they were. On a modded 951 back pressure can become an issue so going to a 3 inch downpipe and 3 inch exhaust will reduce it and lessen the chance of a Head gasket failure.

As for a turbo, I know Lindsey prices their turbos pretty reasonably and are quality. I would reach out to John at Vitesse and call the guys at Lindsey. You can do the mods in stages, but if you revamp your k26 or go with a aftermarket turbo at some point you will need to replace the stock air box system.

As for my 3 liter. With the head, exhaust, turbo, cam etc, I'm hoping for 400 rwhp at a reasonable amount of boost.
Old 06-12-2011 | 10:20 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks so much for posting those pics!

I'm putting my car back together from a tear-down even deeper than that - I had all but the block and the turbo-side motor mount out. I've started putting stuff back in and I didn't take good pictures when I tore it apart 5 years ago. I've got lots of questions about which parts go where on the turbo side of the motor (shields, brackets, wires, hoses) and a couple of your pictures will help me a bunch. If you have any more close-up angles of the top of the motor, I'd be very grateful :-).
Old 06-12-2011 | 10:40 PM
JJK78
Racer

Chris, I would definitely like to upgrade the chips but they will have to do for now. I'd love to check it out when it's done.

I feel your pain Matt, These pics are actually of it coming back together, at one point I had the motor hanging just one mount at a time! I'll see if I can snap a few more pics but i'll have to borrow a good camera again. I definitely plan to get more pics once I slap the head on so hopefully this week!
Old 06-13-2011 | 12:38 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

I'm about a month away from starting this on my '89. I'm doing rod bearings, as well as everything on your list. I also have the Lindsey steam vent and pan baffle. I got an amazing deal on a 3" exhaust, and I'm adding a Synchronic wastegate. Still have to send out the spare set of injectors, my IC to SFR for end tank modding, and my head for straightening. I probably have more parts but I have to round them up to remember what they are lol

good work, and it's a great day when it fires up. I did what you're doing last summer to my 944S 16V and I was VERY relieved when it all went back together and ran!
Old 07-24-2011 | 08:53 AM
JJK78
Racer

Default On the road again!!

Greetings everyone,

Just wanted to give an update and say that my 1988 944 Turbo S is back on the road again, and better then ever! After getting it together I still had a few minor issues to work out, but all were fairly easy fixes and I think we are back to 100%!

I also just got my emission done yesterday so I can now go ahead and build myself a 3" exhaust which I may get started on today, and install the new Lindsey MAX chips I bought

Overall I am pretty happy with it, plus it is pretty fast considering it does not have that many modifications done to it. Dyno numbers to come soon!

Here is a link to my facebook album, still need to get some better pics of the finished engine once I get a better camera - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...cb6338f&type=1

THANKS!
J
Old 07-24-2011 | 12:30 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

wow, looks like you have some good money into her!

Quick Reply: 1988 Turbo S mechanical restoration project