no boost at altitude?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:19 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post no boost at altitude?

Question-

When driving my bone stock 87 turbo in Denver at @ 5K feet I get a boost reading up to 1.7 bar on the gauge and the car flies.

However, I brought it up skiing this weekend to Vail and at @11k feet the car really struggled to get over 4,500 rpms and never showed more than a hair over 1 bar on the boost gauge.

There were no misses or anything. It just felt like the car was way down on power. Worse then when I take up my stock 1.8T A4.

Normal?
A faulty sensor of sorts?
Or a more serious problem?

Would something like a Lindsey Boost Enhancer help this problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:33 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
was that reading from the boost gauge under the rpm gauge, or have you installed an extra boost gauge?
Old 02-03-2003, 01:49 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

As I noted, my car is bone stock , so the reading is from the stock gauge.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a trick question on many exams and the correct answer is you should see the same performance as you will boost up to whatever level you are set at until the wastegate opens up.

I don't know much about the 951 turbo system and Danno would be a better guy to talk to but it sounds like you may have an issue with the turbo having to spin so fast with the thin air that you are falling out of the efficiency sweet spot.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by kgosselin:
<strong>Question-

When driving my bone stock 87 turbo in Denver at @ 5K feet I get a boost reading up to 1.7 bar on the gauge and the car flies.

However, I brought it up skiing this weekend to Vail and at @11k feet the car really struggled to get over 4,500 rpms and never showed more than a hair over 1 bar on the boost gauge.

There were no misses or anything. It just felt like the car was way down on power. Worse then when I take up my stock 1.8T A4.

Normal?
A faulty sensor of sorts?
Or a more serious problem?

Would something like a Lindsey Boost Enhancer help this problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">It sounds to me like your car went into its protected mode. When this happens, boost is limited to ~1.2 bar on the factory gauge. Typically shutting off the car and restarting it will reset this untill it gets tripped again. I know there is a low boost fault, perhaps this was setting it off at the higher elevation?

Rob
Old 02-03-2003, 09:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,127 Likes on 2,888 Posts
Definitely not normal. My 951S makes tons of boost at 10,000ft, but it is sluggish until it gets on the boost.

-Grant

Quick Reply: no boost at altitude?