Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any converted NA to turbo 944 out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 12:46 PM
John.
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Any converted NA to turbo 944 out there?

I am looking for some detail on any cars which have been converted from NA to turbocharged. Most specifically, how much boost are some of you guys running on the normally aspirated bottom ends of the 944 and at what compression ratio?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:58 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

John I've done most of it, but not with factory parts. I had a Callaway Kit. What do you want to know?
Old 02-01-2003, 05:33 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 968 went NA to Turbo.

3.5 psi with 11:1 compression.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Danno
Race Director

There's a guy doing it now, nine-44 with 951 parts onto a 944NA... should be done in a couple weeks....
Old 02-01-2003, 07:22 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, that's me, I'm working on it now. I've done alot of looking and it seems to be better to find a 951 eng complete. It's alot cheaper to do t that way, so you don't have to play with alot of engne management problems. You would have to burn a new chp every time you do anythng to make it run right, let alone gettng it to run under boost at all. There's no enrichment for boost on the N/A DME. It could be done, but at what cost? 50 chips later and a thousand dyno runs, maybe a few headgaskets.... I would say if you do the N/A to turbo on the N/A eng, go standalone right off the bat, or, go with factory turbo eng management. Sorry I'm n a hurry to go to dinner and this friggin "i" key on my pc is screwed. I'll post back later. BTW, no knock control either, I definately want that insurance under boost. If you still want to do it, I'll try to help the whole way(if I can) Good luck!
Old 02-01-2003, 08:31 PM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by nine-44:
<strong>Yep, that's me, I'm working on it now. I've done alot of looking and it seems to be better to find a 951 eng complete. It's alot cheaper to do t that way, so you don't have to play with alot of engne management problems. You would have to burn a new chp every time you do anythng to make it run right, let alone gettng it to run under boost at all. There's no enrichment for boost on the N/A DME. It could be done, but at what cost? 50 chips later and a thousand dyno runs, maybe a few headgaskets.... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">That's why there are MAP/MAF kit available for the 944 cars

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"><strong>Originally posted by nine-44:I would say if you do the N/A to turbo on the N/A eng, go standalone right off the bat, or, go with factory turbo eng management. Sorry I'm n a hurry to go to dinner and this friggin "i" key on my pc is screwed. I'll post back later. BTW, no knock control either, I definately want that insurance under boost. If you still want to do it, I'll try to help the whole way(if I can) Good luck!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I am running the J&S Safeguard, as good as the factory KLR, if not better and a timing retard gauge to tell you what's happening.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:01 AM
John.
User

My goal is a suitable boost level for my 1981 Callaway 928. I wanted to find out the boost levels on a stock 944 lower end for comparison.

Mark,

I would be very interested in talking with you regarding your 944 Callaway kit. I assume you had most of the stock stuff from Callaway. IHI RHB-6, larger injectors, microfueler, etc., etc. Any chance I could give you a ring sometime?

Today, I run at 8.5:1 compression and about 8 psi in the manifold. My goal is to go to just about 11 psi at the manifold with the setup I have. I know the Callaway 944s were set up for 10 psi on 8.1:1 compression.

I have the flow map for my compressor as well as a pretty decent intercooler. I can figure out everything to squeeze more boost in, but I wanted to find out how much has been run on a stock early 80s liquid cooled normally aspirated Porsche and what the longevity of the engine was.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2003, 01:01 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking into the Safeguards, $650, Wasn't in my budget. Plus all the other related equipment was looking expensive. Decided that buying a turbo eng was the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

Good alternative to the J&S unit is the MSD unit.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:08 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

John, just email me anytime. I picked up my J&S V.0 with gauge used for $250. The current V.1/V.2 add the BTM to knock control module. What I didn't like about the RHB6 is that they start running out of breath at high boost. I ran mine at 15psi an as high as 20psi a couple times. I would have put a RX6 unit as it flows tremendously and uses the same p18 turbine housing.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:12 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Any converted NA to turbo 944 out there?