Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

interpreting PPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003 | 12:14 PM
norman chang
Intermediate

Post interpreting PPI

Hi
looking at an out of state 89 turbo(eboy), i didnt get the entire PPI statement, but just a few points highlighted.
The PPI report noted the following additional items, in addition to those already stated in the original listing: (1) cigarette lighter does not stay in; (2) trip meter does not reset; (3) rear hatch pop-open needs lube; (4) some seepage on trans, no drips; (5) rear crank seal leak and right lower lower balance shaft leak; (6) front cam seal seeping
is this normal wear and tear of this vintage? or should I request the complete PPI?
Old 03-28-2003 | 12:20 PM
crazyracer
Racer

Doesn't sound encouraging. Engine leaks are very expensive to fix and it sounds like a no maintenance vehicle to me.
Old 03-28-2003 | 12:33 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norm, this is the 89 on ebay, in AZ?

If so it looks like its been taken care of but does it have records, did you get a compression and leak down done on the car? Seals go dry on many cars, every couple of belt changes most people do seals - some everytime on the front, they aren't $$$. The rear main, well that could be a little expensive but until it drips or causes clutch problems it should be ok; then get it replaced when you do the clutch. The balance shaft leaks can be done at belt change also,,but IIRC in the listing it is just seeping, no drips on the garage floor.? The right balance shaft could also be the rear cam seal too. The seeping on the tranny could be the seals or could be the CV joints letting out a little oil from the grease when they get warm.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2003 | 09:22 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Bret
it's the AZ car. I havent seen the car or spoke with the seller yet, just want to check the preliminary to see if worth pursuing. thanks
Norman
Old 03-28-2003 | 11:04 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norman,
Here's another one in Nor-cal to look at if Ben's really serious about selling.
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=018240" target="_blank">Bens car may be for sale.</a>

I don't see the other post he mentions.

Hey, if you want to come by on Sunday, maybe Matt will want to come over to the house, we can hang out, drive cars, bench race, drive more cars, bench race some more...

The TurboS looks nice. Don't let someone talk you out of it because of a couple oil leaks. You mentioned that you wanted to track the car. If that's the case, you might be swapping out a lot of the Turbo S features for heavier springs and such. The LSD and bigger front brakes will come in handy on the track though.
Old 03-28-2003 | 11:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

You might have to throw a few bucks at it initially... especially the leaking cam seal. I had that problem with my '86 right after I bought it. It was due for a belt change anyway, all in all it wasn't that bad.

If it's in good shape and everything else lines up, it might not be a bad deal. '89's in good shape are hard to find... I could tell you stories about my search!

Quick Reply: interpreting PPI