Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need a GOOD street pad - anybody have experience with Performance Friction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any tips on the best place to purchase the OE's?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:55 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Sunset Porsche.

http://www.sunsetimports.com/
Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Maybe a dumb question that I should research before posting, but going for it anyway. I am sure someone knows off the top of their head here. Are the OE pads really manufactured by Porsche? I would assume that they just buy pads from one of the major suppliers and tack their name on them. If this is the case, Who makes them and what type are they for the Turbo S/89 turbo fronts?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I guess that question was either very stupid or harder to answer than I thought, but I think I located it from one of Doc's posts, OEM Textar. I also saw there is a difference between OEM and OE? Please elaborate if possible.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Someone was kind enough to send me some old used stock pads and WhaLa! Problem solved! They look like s**!, no chamfered edges, no line spit down the middle, & no shims. I did nothing but spray a little CRC brake quiet on the back of them, removed the new PBR Ultimates, threw them in and not a peep since. I only have two hundred miles so far, but they are perfectly quiet. Don't stop as good as the ultimates, but I don't care, they are quiet and I have two dates this weekend, If they start to squeal I will repost. So glad I did not buy new rotors!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Omni, pulling up an old thread but you're spot on with regards to the PF Compound 97's for the track and i'm in the market for some new street pads but before I give Sunset a call I want to be sure I know what i'm ordering. Is there another name to them other than OE Porsche pads that I should be ordering? These will be for an '89 944 turbo.

Start of the season I ordered new Porsche rotors, also from Sunset, thinking they would solve my loud brakes as the rotors were just below min. spec but no luck. Wish I had come across this post sooner, would have ordered pads right away. Also, are you running backing plates (steel or titanium) or piston dampers with your pads? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Just order the OEM Textar pads and be done with it! I don't understand why people go through multiple street pads trying to find something that already exists.

Yes, you'll have to wash your wheels! That's the price for a quiet pad that stops well with good initial brake torque.

I run OEM textars without backing plates, piston dampers, or any of that other crap and they're SILENT.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mj951
Is there another name to them other than OE Porsche pads that I should be ordering? These will be for an '89 944 turbo.
Well Sunset will only sell Porsche pads AFAIK. Just call and order a set of brake pads, they'll be the OE Porsche ones.

I don't use the dampers or backing plates. Just drop the pads in.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well Sunset will only sell Porsche pads AFAIK. Just call and order a set of brake pads, they'll be the OE Porsche ones.

I don't use the dampers or backing plates. Just drop the pads in.
You can use OEM pads for autocross and racing?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Autocross - absolutely. Best AX pad I've used so far.

Racing/DE? Not really. Some folks use them, though it's pretty much all novices. They actually hold up ok for mild track use (as in, they generally continue working after they get HOT) but they don't last very long. I bet you'd burn up a complete set of pads in a few sessions if you were anything other than a novice.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Autocross - absolutely. Best AX pad I've used so far.

Racing/DE? Not really. Some folks use them, though it's pretty much all novices. They actually hold up ok for mild track use (as in, they generally continue working after they get HOT) but they don't last very long. I bet you'd burn up a complete set of pads in a few sessions if you were anything other than a novice.
Thanks for the response, realized it was a silly question after posting given OE is original equipment...aka...PORSCHE.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:30 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Maybe a dumb question that I should research before posting, but going for it anyway. I am sure someone knows off the top of their head here. Are the OE pads really manufactured by Porsche? I would assume that they just buy pads from one of the major suppliers and tack their name on them. If this is the case, Who makes them and what type are they for the Turbo S/89 turbo fronts?
OE pads are made by a major supplier to PORSCHE's specification.
OEM pads are made by the same supplier, but to the SUPPLIER's specification.

It is up to the purchaser to determine if there is a significant difference!

Note: most car manufacturers have an NDA (non disclosure agreement) with their suppliers. This means that the supplier isn't entitled to use the specification for their own use.
Therefore the suppliers can't legally sell parts of the same specification... meaning there will always be at least a minor difference in specification and therefore performance.

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: Need a GOOD street pad - anybody have experience with Performance Friction?