Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car running hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car running hot

Noticed my temperature gauge higher than normal on a drive today. Usually in the summer it'll move between the first line and the middle of the gauge. It was running right at the 3rd line today. Seemed as though it only got warm when throttle was applied. I had retensioned my timing belt friday using the 920x tool, and the car ran fine yesterday... but I'm thinking the tension nut might have gotten loose? Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did the same thing last year. Fan temp sensor went out and fans were not coming on a proper temp. Let the car get hot while sitting and check to see if the fans are running if they don't kick on, turn on your ac which should cause both fans to come on, if it doesn't it may not be the sensor but a relay or fuse. Just an idea
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

I'll check it out. Temp sensor should only be about 9 months old, plus I think I heard the fans running after I turned the car off. Will double check on that though.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Checked the timing belt this morning, as was well. Fans operate normally too. I'm thinking it's probably a gauge issue. My gauge is very susceptible to voltage changes so for instance when I turn my AC blower up, the temp needle will rise a tad. Had a short at my starter last summer when I was putting the car back together after a clutch change, think it might have fried my voltage regulator cause since then i've only been seeing ~12.5 volts at the battery, tops. Will be changing it out when I do my turbo in a few weeks. Going to go ahead and test the gauge using a potentiometer though, and also try to find an IR thermometer to borrow so I can make sure it's not actually running hot.

edit - after getting a thermometer, it would seem as though the gauge is accurate, with AC and blower fan off. Sitting at idle, it'll run between the first line and half way point, all day with no problem, lower temp fan switch to thank for that. But when actually driving the car, the temperature rises towards the second notch. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid about this, it is summer after all with mid 90 temperatures here in Houston. Normally shouldn't it heat up at idle, but cool down when moving? My car is doing the opposite, and if the water pump was slipping, that would make sense, but I tensioned it again this morning with the 920x tool AND double checked by feel that it's right. Can turn the water pump with a bit of effort at a 1.5 tooth before TDC, also visually seems to be spinning fine when I watch the belt as the car is running.

Last edited by onspeed; 05-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Car running hot