Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking at a '87 944 Turbo to buy....need help

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
bigspyke
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a '87 944 Turbo to buy....need help

I am looking at a '87 944 turbo to buy, but need help from those in the know about what I should look for and the right questions of the owner I should ask. I know the 944 has a problem with rust near/under the battery, but not much else that would be pertinent to a 944 Turbo. The owner says it has a "weak" 3rd synchro, but if you don't speed shift it is OK......but will need to be replaced. I guess I'm asking what would you look for if buying one. I don't expect a perfect car, but also don't want one that is going to be a $$ pit. Thanks for any help and taking the time . First time on the board and first post...it looks like a great site.

Spike
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

weak third synchro? Thats the first time I have heard of that on one of these. As for questions, check clarks garage (google search).
Most important questions.
1. Do you have records?
2. When was the timing and balance belt, and water pump last changed (mileage and age)?
3. When was the clutch done?

Get a PPI, expect leak down and compression numbers.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM
OUNATE
Instructor

I'd let that one pass, sounds like a basket case that probably just needs to be parted. You can find so many of these cars without rust on them that I wouldn't even begin to drop money on one that has had rust issues, add that to the mechanical problems and it'll be a money pit. Good luck
Old 05-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the best piece of advice anybody can give you: buy a car from a member on here. There are always one or two for sale, always very nice, well taken care of, and usually fairly priced.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the list. Before plunking any money down, spend some time cruising through old posts.

+1 on buying from a lister. There have been decent fixer uppers purchased through scrounging, at low prices, but the savings can be quickly consumed by expected and mostly unexpected repairs.

If the car you're looking at is priced right, and needs a trans, understand the costs before making an offer. If you own tools and are mechanically inclined this car is a cool hobby.

Post up where you're located and a lister may be close enuf to help look it over.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:28 AM
bigspyke
8th Gear

Default Thanks for all the suggestions.......

The car I am thinking about is on EBay, and located in Kent, WA near Seattle. I have a friend that is going to look at it tomorrow morning and get back to me. He has fairly good knowledge on cars, and I gave him a list of questions to ask and look for/at. He is going to drive it and also have the owner drive it. It has 86K on the odometer. It has no reserve and the opening bid is $6,000.00 which no one has bid yet. If it is decent and the price is $6K or a little more I might take a chance......depending on what my friend reports to me. Thanks for steering me to the Clark Garage site........
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Make sure the odometer works! many of them don't due to a broken gear. Also power steering leaks should be looked for. Tranny's have come down in price from when I first started messing with these things. If you can't find out when the belts rollers and waterpump were done go ahead figure doing them soon because a failure there is very costly. good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 04:00 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brothernlaw has an 87 for sale, 47k original miles, sport seats, LSD, ABS, records...mint for 12,500.
Stone Grey with burgundy, car is garaged and covered always. APE MAF, Euro foglights and 18 inch wheels are the only mods. Car is in Memphis
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Paging Alex. Know anything about this car?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

The actual ad says the belts were replaced at 40K and the car has 86K on it, so I'd replace them. Looks like the WP has not been done so do that. Clutch replaced at 50K so it's good to go. I, too, have never heard of a bad 3rd gear synchro. Doesn't look like a bad car from the ad. Definitely have it PPI'd. Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a '87 944 Turbo to buy....need help