New member pics of first porsche 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member pics of first porsche 951

Hey All,

I have been browsing the forums for about a year trying to decide between 951 and 996. After some recommendations from a cousin and his good friend in FL that specializes in getting porsches race ready and seeing what they can do on the track I decided the 951 route. So long story short my cousin found a great car for a reasonable price his friend gave it the OK so here I am. Drove it back 12hours from FL and had not one issue.

I am very novice buy really excited to learn. All fluids and belts were changed, engine, trans rebuild and new sachs clutch about 10k ago. We dynoed it as high as 375rwhp at 18-20psi. This was done in 3rd gear so it is alittle misleading I have found out. But with my experience level (one track event) we turned everything down to 14-15psi at about 290rwhp.

Short list of upgrades:
-auto authority MAF and matching chip
-"cheater" turbo
-cross drilled rotors
-upgraded suspension but I forget what it is exactly, i know it is adjustable with eibach springs
-stainless steel braided oil and brake lines
-stainless cat back 3in exhaust, magna flow muffler

Sorry for such a long post, I am overly excited and cant stop talking about it.
Attached Images        

Last edited by Jordache183; 05-29-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, another NC guy

375rwhp seems like very impressive numbers for those mods... Is that really a 996 caliper?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice looking car.

I hate to **** on yout parade a bit but I'm not sure you have an accurate understanding of what's on the car. It appears that the brakes are stock turbo units with zimmerman x-drilled rotors, not 996 units. Also, I believe the injectors are the stock green top injectors which can only support about 300RWHP @3.0 bar (on a good day). The FPR appears to be the stock 2.5 bar unit as well (but you can get them in that color @ 3.0bar).

I'm not sure exactly what a "cheater" turbo it appears to be a KKK unit based on the stock water pipe. Autothority is older software and didn't have a lot of options for turbos so it is probably a 26/6 or 8 based turbo. I would say it could be a 27/6 or 8 but again the water pipe appears to be unmodified and the turbo water temp sensor is not the low profile version. Base on what I can see, those mods can not support 375 RWHP and 300RWHP @ 18psi would be more reasonable.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:41 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Love the wheels and rear hatch.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Nice looking car.

I hate to **** on yout parade a bit but I'm not sure you have an accurate understanding of what's on the car. It appears that the brakes are stock turbo units with zimmerman x-drilled rotors, not 996 units. Also, I believe the injectors are the stock green top injectors which can only support about 300RWHP @3.0 bar (on a good day). The FPR appears to be the stock 2.5 bar unit as well (but you can get them in that color @ 3.0bar).

I'm not sure exactly what a "cheater" turbo it appears to be a KKK unit based on the stock water pipe. Autothority is older software and didn't have a lot of options for turbos so it is probably a 26/6 or 8 based turbo. I would say it could be a 27/6 or 8 but again the water pipe appears to be unmodified and the turbo water temp sensor is not the low profile version. Base on what I can see, those mods can not support 375 RWHP and 300RWHP @ 18psi would be more reasonable.
I agree, I would love to see the dyno sheet.

It is a nice looking car.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! Looks very clean.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Nice looking car.. welcome to the family..
Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

Your not pissing on my parade, you are correct I do not have a full understanding of whats on it. Learning about all this has been half the fun so far. All I know is what I saw on the mustang Dyno at smith motorworks in panama city Fl. Unfortunately I am still trying to determine what is all on the car. the owner at smith motorworks was really impressed but never gave me a complete list. Not ideal but I trust him since he is a very good friend of the family.

You are correct that the injectors are stock. But I am not sure what FPR is, can someone help me out on that one? And by no means do I think it can support the higher PSI or HP. When we dynoed it we had an issue with the manual boost controller, got it to work and then bam got huge numbers at 20psi or so and it was immediately turned down. I should have asked for the print outs, maybe I can still get them if he saved the runs.

But regardless, its fun to drive and not so far beyond my ability I'm going to kill myself. The first thing I need to change are the seats they are very poor tuner FX and I just do not feel 100% safe and cant use the 5 point harness appropriately when I track it.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jordache183
Your not pissing on my parade, you are correct I do not have a full understanding of whats on it. Learning about all this has been half the fun so far. All I know is what I saw on the mustang Dyno at smith motorworks in panama city Fl. Unfortunately I am still trying to determine what is all on the car. the owner at smith motorworks was really impressed but never gave me a complete list. Not ideal but I trust him since he is a very good friend of the family.

You are correct that the injectors are stock. But I am not sure what FPR is, can someone help me out on that one? And by no means do I think it can support the higher PSI or HP. When we dynoed it we had an issue with the manual boost controller, got it to work and then bam got huge numbers at 20psi or so and it was immediately turned down. I should have asked for the print outs, maybe I can still get them if he saved the runs.

But regardless, its fun to drive and not so far beyond my ability I'm going to kill myself. The first thing I need to change are the seats they are very poor tuner FX and I just do not feel 100% safe and cant use the 5 point harness appropriately when I track it.
Usually the FPR's ahev the pressure stamped or inked on them. What gear did they do the dyno runs in?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

3rd gear I believe.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
elargentino
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Usually the FPR's ahev the pressure stamped or inked on them. What gear did they do the dyno runs in?
I beliee he is unsure what FPR stands for..
Fuel Pressure Regulator

It is the zinc colored can on the firewall side of the fuel rail
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

3rd gear I believe.
That explains the inflated dyno numbers. If your not sure what something on the car is you can snap closer shot pictures and the guys here can identify most of it pretty easily. Again, nice car and welcome aboard.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

Yes, thats what I meant, thanks!
Old 05-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Jordache183
Intermediate

What gear do you normally dyno in?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM
elargentino
Banned

Yes, thats what I meant, thanks!
Your welcome.

And I wouldn't play with that boost too much. Your system has insufficient compensation for it.
Better to leave it around 14 psi, or the fun may be over quickly.

Quick Reply: New member pics of first porsche 951