Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aux Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 06:49 PM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aux Oil Cooler

I just wanted to pass along info about an auxiliary oil cooler kit I recently installed. It consists of a 13row Mocal cooler and necessary lines and bracket to install it in series with the stock cooler. It fits behind the driver's side fog light and the alternator cooling duct is the only item that must be removed. I cut out most of the fog light bucket, but the fog light assembly can be reinstalled if desired, though it would block airflow to the cooler.

I don't have an oil temp gauge in my car and have not been to the track yet with the new cooler, but I have done some testing on a hot day. The oil pressure stayed over 4 bar and the water temp was only about half during about 20 miles of high boost/rpm load on a 95F degree day, so the oil temps appear to be lower. Prior to the second oil cooler, the water temp would hit about 2/3 and the oil pressure would drop under 4 bar under the same conditions.

Last time at the track here in miserable conditions (tight track, 100F, 5000ft, dry), my water temp was nearly pegged and the oil pressure was dropping to 3 bar at speed by the end of each session. I'll be at the track this coming weekend in similiar conditions, but might have cancelled if not for the new cooler.

The kit is available for $295 from Terry Morris/KISS Engineering (316-858-6140). After getting quotes as high as $200 for just custom lines with AN-metric fittings, this is a great deal. Lower oil temps and reduced foaming have got to help the life of the rod bearings. Terry claims 55F deg reduction in oil temps during his track testing.

HTH
Gary
'89 951 (K27, MAF, LBE, exhaust, 14psi)
Old 07-09-2002, 01:58 AM
kellyk
Instructor

Glad to see the Mocal worked for you. Let me know if this solves your cooling problems. Like I said in the last thread, even with all my HP I have never had a cooling problem using the Mocal.

BTW, how long did it take you to install and did you have to make a bracket?
Old 07-09-2002, 04:24 PM
GaryK
Racer

It took about 4 hours to install it, but I could do it again in about 1/2 that time. The kit came complete with bracket and lines. The cooler sits just above the brake duct, and I routed the outer line under the duct even though the instructions said otherwise.
I'll find out this weekend if the cooling is adequate. My car is probably only about 320hp, so I don't see how those of you with 400+hp are getting decent water and oil cooling on the track.
Gary
Old 07-10-2002, 02:14 AM
kellyk
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GaryK:
"I don't see how those of you with 400+hp are getting decent water and oil cooling on the track.
Gary"

We just drive faster, the air cools us!

Quick Reply: Aux Oil Cooler