Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help diagnosing 'knock' in the back? -Anyone got a set of rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing 'knock' in the back? -Anyone got a set of rear shocks?

The back end of my car is noisy. -Infuriatingly so.

The torsion bar bushings were squeaking like a deranged hyena, but -strangely- NOT only when the car went 'straight' over speed bumps, only when you went across at an angle... I was certain it'd be the sway bar bushings, but... No.

Anyhow, one good lubing of the torsion bar bushings later, and that noise is gone, but there's a 'knock-knock-knock' with every tiny road imperfection. On here, it's been suggested that it might be the sway bar bushings, but I had the sway bar disconnected.... still knocks. -It seems to knock on transition from bump to rebound, so I'm wondering if it might be in the shocks (Yellow Koni's... it's an 89)?

I'm wondering if I can remove and replace the shocks myself, to see if another pair is quieter... So I'd need a 'swap-out' pair. If the noise goes away, I'll send my current ones out to be rebuilt, but if it persists, I'll know to look elsewhere.

Anyone got a pair of usable (and KNOWN QUIET!) shocks which I can try out? -Also, I'm assuming that this is something that someone like me with moderate wrenching abilities could manage?

Thanks in advance,

Keith
Old 05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I called mine a "clunk", but the smallest of bumps would also cause it. Koni yellows (on sale until May 31) were $239 with free shipping. Clunk gone.

I should mention the offending shocks were KYB junk that were almost impossible to compress, and had less than 10K miles on them. KYB means "Keep Your Bilsteins"
Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm... "on sale" where, may I ask?

That does sound tempting!

Also, are the 951S yellow shocks different from other (non-S) 951's? -Are they on sale too, I wonder?

Keith
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are on sale on either Tirerack or paragon products. I got mine from Jason at Paragon Products and they are great. My car actually has rear shocks. One of mine was completely shot while the other one was not in good shape.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that anyone really wants KYB's, but, I've got a set of barely used KYB gas-a-djust shocks for the rear that I'll sell really cheap. $40 + shipping from 09626 via Priority Mail. They're already boxed up. They're fine for a standard daily driver, and they don't clunk.

I replaced them for a performance upgrade (Koni coil-overs for the rear). These are fairly easy to install yourself, but getting the bolt through on the top, and getting the nut threaded, can be a pain (you need small fingers/hands). The bottom is pretty painless as long as you have the rear up on jack stands and use a floor jack to jack up each trailing arm one at a time to line up the threaded hole in the trailing arm with the bottom of the shock. You should also use the jack for disassembly so you don't risk stripping out the threads in the trailing arm when you remove it - when you're at the right height, it will turn by hand after backing it out about 3-4 turns with a socket wrench).

Let me know if you want the shocks. If not, any inquiries are welcome.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:51 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

That sounds pretty good to me...

I'll send you a PM.

Keith

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing 'knock' in the back? -Anyone got a set of rear shocks?