Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thumbs up for Steve R

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 03:14 PM
2+2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have corresponded with Steve in the past... His chips is not a copy of anyones....Welts or otherwise.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:32 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the responses...I've heard good things about Guru chips, and have corresponded with them, but I've wanted to hear more about the Steve R chips also...He uses the swapped out banjo bolt rather and MBC and 3 bar FPR...I don't pretend to know which one is better. I am still trying to make myself pull the trigger on upgrading the chips with anybody...
Old 03-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve R is the man and his chips are one hot setup for a stock 951, he's been in the biz for a long time now. Way before this forum came online.

Check out this Dyno from Farzaan's Website.
<a href="http://www.novustelecom.net/~fkassam/dyno/stever89paul.jpg" target="_blank">'89 951 - 16.5psi max boost</a>
Old 03-19-2003, 03:52 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

The steve R chips that I bought used the 3 bar FPR and I supplied an MBC.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:14 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

I have the Steve R. chips. Got them about a year ago and were $250 with the banjo bolt. I definitely noticed a difference stock. Much smoother accel. and from the looks of the afr, it runs just right. Slightly rich on full boost and right at 12.5:1 when cruising. Have not compared to the Guru chips .....yet.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:21 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Fity...I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that with a MBC the stock bajo bolt was in order...?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:22 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Fityone, you have a wide band O2 sensor??
Old 03-19-2003, 04:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

So it seems that the Turbo S gets the 3bar fpr and MBC, while the standard turbo gets the restricted banjo bolt with no fpr upgrade??
Old 03-19-2003, 04:48 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's also the impression I'm getting...
Old 03-19-2003, 06:30 PM
2+2
Pro

Fiftyone, any chance you can post your dyno results with A/F ratio? I have requested them from Steve but he never took me up on it. Trade secret?

Also FYI, Steve only does this on the side and he is a racer...He has multiple versions of his chips using the stock fuel pressure as well as 3 bar. He only provides chips and a banjo bolt if you need it. MBC and regulators...you are on your own from what I am told. I have been internally debating this chip thing for ever.....
Old 03-19-2003, 06:45 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Like you, 2+2, I've been rolling this around in my head for awhile...Autothority, Weltmiester, Europroducts, Steve R, Guru, etc, etc...I have this great fear of a bad AFM and a steaming engine bay from a head gasket failure (OR WORSE)...I'd love to get a custom chipset burned for MY car, but that seems unlikely (at least around here)...I want to enjoy my car when I want to enjoy it, and I am not that good a wrench...Of course, you have an S, and I don't so I would only really be bringing my car up to the performance levels that you are already accustomed to...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:10 PM
2+2
Pro

Alpen, I hear you. I have ruled out all chips except Steve R and Guru and I will likely go with one of these in the future. What concerns me about Steve R's chips is that there is not very many of them around and A/F data is not available so effect on head gasket is unknown. And Guru's...I respect Danno very highly for his knowledge and desire to share info but even Guru chips are not that common in Turbo S's (much more info on regular Turbos) and they have not been out very long. Good luck to you and share what you conclude....
Old 03-19-2003, 07:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

2+2,

Wanna pay for some of my dyno run?
hehehe

Anybody else with a curiosity in a dyno chart with a/f's for Steve R chips in a Turbo S...feel free to contribute...I dont really have the money to pay for all of it, but I'd be happy to put forth some $$ to get a good chart. Dyno run is around $100-$120 for 2-3 pulls with a wideband O2 in the tailpipe (a/f curves).

I'll be the guinea pig (no clue how to spell that..)
Old 03-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech575
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> ...even Guru chips are not that common in Turbo S's (much more info on regular Turbos) </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">2+2,

I corresponded with Steve R in the past...and finally decided to go with the Guru chips in my 89 Turbo "S" and can say that I was very impressed upon installing them. If you have any questions about running them in the Turbo S...just let me know. BTW, I decided on the Guru chips because I plan on making further upgrades and the Guru chip allows for more flexibility (upgrade to MAP and larger injector settings preprogrammed...to name a few).
Old 03-21-2003, 05:18 PM
2+2
Pro

Adrial,
interesting proposition...I will give you $10 if you send me a copy of your dyno results and complete listing of your mods, milage, general condition of your car, boost, etc. I know its not much but I just spent all my 951 funds....see below.

[Got tired of going back and forth knowing that Steve Rs chips are not that common (insufficent data!) and Guru's was too new to evaluate reliability (I understand there are some issues with the chips now.... Tech 575 sounds like you got the good stuff)..... so I decided to put the chip thing on hold for now and spent all my money on 993 Cup wheels and centercaps!!!]

I will likely revisit this issue when my B-day comes along to replenish my 951 funds.

Quick Reply: Thumbs up for Steve R