Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What should I do here???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:49 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do here???

So these cars are very 80's and some of them have 80's 'upgrades'. Mine has a turbo light bar that fills the back in between the tail lights. I was hoping it just screwed in where the stock license plate bracket goes. but unfortunately it has some extra holes drilled. Not to mention the two extra holes in the bumper where the license plate is now.

If I really want to change it back to stock the only thing I can think of is to plug all the extra holes with color matched bumperplugs.com plugs. But that may look worse than just leaving the after market Turbo light.

Any thoughts? I don't have a good picture of the Turbo light installed, but it doesn't look too bad. This is the only item on the car that makes it not 100% stock though.

Last edited by kinglenario; 10-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the same stupid light bar on my N/A that said 944. I stuck some vacuum line over some christmass tree plugs and shoved them in there just to keep water from getting in there. It looks way better than having the light bar there because I hate that look but you will have to get them professionally filled along with the two holes in the bumper for it ever to look normal again. So to answer your question no I dont think plugs will look worse than the light bar
Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
kinglenario
Racer

thanks for your reply man. nice looking car by the way.

i think the color matched bumperplugs would be the best looking solution without body work but i'm not sure they would seal well enough.

the funny thing is that this was my parents car and they put that on in 1986. i called my dad and was like "wtf, you drilled holes for that thing"? he said he still prefers the way it looks with it on there.

i don't mind it that much but prefer the stock look, and would rather have my car all stock. i think in the 80's the back end of these was becoming dated looking and people were trying to make them look more modern.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My PO hated the lights and removed them. Pretty clever solution if you ask me:

BTW I just bought an NOS kit to put BACK on the car as it was dealer installed and on the original bill of sale!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:57 PM
kinglenario
Racer

lol, i could have just sold you mine! it's in perfect condition.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario
thanks for your reply man. nice looking car by the way.

i think the color matched bumperplugs would be the best looking solution without body work but i'm not sure they would seal well enough.

the funny thing is that this was my parents car and they put that on in 1986. i called my dad and was like "wtf, you drilled holes for that thing"? he said he still prefers the way it looks with it on there.

i don't mind it that much but prefer the stock look, and would rather have my car all stock. i think in the 80's the back end of these was becoming dated looking and people were trying to make them look more modern.
Haha wow that's funny about your dad and really cool that the car has been in your family. That's awesome. Wish I could say the same about mine. When I took mine off a friend suggested I get a rectangular piece of vinyl rap the same color as my car cut to fit in that area but I don't know how that would look. Would certainly seal but I guess thats another option if you can't get the holes filled.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

IMO the best way is weld/paint, but that will be a little pricey, unless you DIY. I'd at least talk to a local body shop and see what they think.

I'm with you, the panel just doesn't do it for me, but some people will buy ANY accessory offered for their pride and joy. Maybe your dad would pay half the bill as a early Christmas or birthday present!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sliced the 'block' of two spare lenses and attached them with gasket sealer. LED's would be the only way to light them and make them functional.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kinglenario
lol, i could have just sold you mine! it's in perfect condition.
$20 new in the box at Hershey!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I think you should have it fixed by a body shop. If you look around, you can probably get it done for $300ish
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
kinglenario
Racer

i just put it back on for now. since it was a dealer option it's not that big of a deal, but if i do take it off i will have it done properly and get a body shop to fill the holes correctly.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Where in Atlanta are you?
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM
kinglenario
Racer

midtown, you?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM
God_Bot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
I sliced the 'block' of two spare lenses and attached them with gasket sealer. LED's would be the only way to light them and make them functional.
Doesn't look bad. If it were my car I might consider some sequential lights, but that's just because I've been obsessed with them since I was a little kid.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sequential lights
There is a vid of a 44 with the marching lights, only bad thing was he used relay logic. I had a '67 cougar with the relays, ... had to re-build the system, when I was done, the relay board measured 18" x 12". Only way I would go now is Solid State ... what with bright, low draw LED's, shouldn't be to bad. Now if Radio Shack would return to their roots, I'd be all over that idea

Quick Reply: What should I do here???