Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

M-Tune Stealth / Counter at: 5

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011 | 10:51 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Default M-Tune Stealth / Counter at: 5

I may be "jumping the gun" a bit but...with the M-Tune on its way to a full release and initial feedback sounding incredible, I thought a new thread might be warranted to give Joshua an indication of potential "stealth" customers.

As Joshua stated in another thread: "I’m currently looking into the economics of doing a stealth MAF option. The concern is to see if the demand is worth it - so to speak. At the price-point of the M-Tune, it will take a decent amount of kits to warrant the production cost of doing a stealth MAF... I am seriously considering it, however, I have not received that much interest as of yet."

Understandably, I assume if Rogue Tuning were to make a “stealth” kit available (MS-Tune?), it would be months away from production. That and you could rehash the old cold air vs less restrictive argument or stock vs trick look; but with all things considered…

I want one!

Anyone else?

Last edited by teamcrossworks; 05-22-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 12:11 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

I live in Ca. Emission is very tight. I'm waiting for emission results from others before taking the plunge. Stealth, I would definitely want one.
Old 05-21-2011 | 12:31 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

It wouldn't (I hope) take months to produce the pipes. As Josh said, it really is just economics. The materials needed to manufacture the pipes is expensive, and it isn't cost effective to produce only 2 or 3. If only 2 or 3 are needed, the cost of each pipe would, unfortunately, have to absorb the manufacturing costs.
Old 05-21-2011 | 04:22 PM
esmith904
Advanced

A stealth MAF will be my next big mod. I want one.
Old 05-21-2011 | 05:40 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
It wouldn't (I hope) take months to produce the pipes. As Josh said, it really is just economics. The materials needed to manufacture the pipes is expensive, and it isn't cost effective to produce only 2 or 3. If only 2 or 3 are needed, the cost of each pipe would, unfortunately, have to absorb the manufacturing costs.

I wasn't out to debate production times or cost effectiveness...

Very simply: The thread was to gauge demand for a stealth M-Tune.

Do you want one or not?
Old 05-21-2011 | 06:10 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

+1 for a stealth version.
Old 05-21-2011 | 06:11 PM
Motosport
Racer

I would most likely be interested in a stealth tune as well, but before I take the plunge I would like to know how it compares to the regular M-tune on performance and cost.. I would kind of like to keep my car looking stock, but if performance is significantly better with the M-tune, I'll probably just go with that..
Old 05-21-2011 | 08:13 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Not to hijack but I have a modded J-pipe for larger turbo for stealth application or AFM for sale if anyone is interested PM me $150+shipping
Really?

NO OFFENSE but IMHO you should have just started a FS thread...your J-pipe is not relevant in determining demand for a Rogue Tuning stealth M-Tune.

Is it me? LOL

Last edited by teamcrossworks; 05-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2011 | 10:39 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks

I wasn't out to debate production times or cost effectiveness...

Very simply: The thread was to gauge demand for a stealth M-Tune.

Do you want one or not?
I'm not debating... It was a statement.

I speak with Josh regularly. If enough people want the pipe, it'll happen....Just as he has said in the M-tune thread. It has been in discussion from the beginning of the M-tune.

Originally Posted by Motosport
I would most likely be interested in a stealth tune as well, but before I take the plunge I would like to know how it compares to the regular M-tune on performance and cost.. I would kind of like to keep my car looking stock, but if performance is significantly better with the M-tune, I'll probably just go with that..
The functionality would be the same. The only difference would be the MAF pipe, and instead of it getting incoming air from the fender well, it will get it from the stock air box. Running ~stock boost, I can't see much difference in performance between the "regular" M-tune, and the "Stealth" M-tune. If you wanted to up the boost, I think the stock air box might become a restriction. Josh would be the person to get the best answer on performance for this though.

Cost is yet to be determined. It really depends on how many people are interested in the pipe.
Old 05-21-2011 | 11:04 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I run 18 lbs of boost seen 21 by accident and a peak of 28 pounds with an undiagnosed failed EBC all with the AFM and threw the stock air box so I don't see the stock air box as being a restriction maybe above 400hp.
Wouldn't you just need to mount the MAF on the back of an AFM sized spacer? Don't mark me down as a yes but I do kinda like the look of the stock setup.
Old 05-21-2011 | 11:35 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Good idea for a thread! Having some actual numbers of interest will help

And I do wonder how much of a restriction the stock air-box is...
When I get some time, I will put one on the flow-bench and find out!
Old 05-21-2011 | 11:36 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
I'm not debating... It was a statement.

I speak with Josh regularly. If enough people want the pipe, it'll happen....Just as he has said in the M-tune thread. It has been in discussion from the beginning of the M-tune.
Again...the purpose of this thread is to determine the demand (counter #) for the stealth set-up so Joshua could decide if it is worth his efforts.

It's got to be me.
Old 05-22-2011 | 01:09 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Good idea for a thread! Having some actual numbers of interest will help
Thanks... Hopefully (because I want one), we get the counter up some.

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
And I do wonder how much of a restriction the stock air-box is...
When I get some time, I will put one on the flow-bench and find out!
It would be interesting to see (myth buster like).

Though, after reading countless posts here on Rennlist addressing this issue, I've come to the conclusion:

I ...ummm... like the stock look. LOL
Old 05-22-2011 | 01:16 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

There are always tons of people intersted...but when the time comes to pull the trigger then 98% of them back out. It's why I never made any wastegate adapter for more than myself. Had a bunch that said they would buy them, then only one person was ready to send money. I hope this isn't the case.
Old 05-22-2011 | 09:05 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
There are always tons of people intersted...but when the time comes to pull the trigger then 98% of them back out. It's why I never made any wastegate adapter for more than myself. Had a bunch that said they would buy them, then only one person was ready to send money. I hope this isn't the case.
True that... as an example, with all of the interest in M-Tune, in wonder how many RL'ers have placed an order with Joshua? Call me an early adopter on this one, but the technology shift at a good price point combined with the timing made it an easy decision for me... and I needed new injectors anyway. I've never liked the crowded look of the stock setup/airbox anyway, and in Texas there is no need to try to keep things looking stock under the hood.

On the other hand, I was checking out a very low mileage 944T at a local PCA show-n-shine a couple of weekends ago and was reminded that a well maintained engine compartment looks really good... unfortunately due to the PO's indifference, my engine compartment was a grungy, oxidized mess! I'm replacing as much of of it as possible...

Quick Reply: M-Tune Stealth / Counter at: 5