Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

'86 951

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002 | 12:18 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Post '86 951

I'm looking into buying an 86 951 w/ about 150000 miles on it. I could get it for under 3000, which I think is a good deal, but there is no mechanical history or any maintnence records. Some pieces of the car are out (interior), so it can't be driven right now. I also live several states away and will not be able to see it first hand. Would I be asking for too much trouble with this deal, as far as engine and other mechanics go, especialy with the milege. I don't have alot of funds to work with, so something like this is the only way I will be able to get a car lilke that.
Any opinions or ideas would be helpful, thanks
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:45 AM
Asahi
Instructor

Exclamation

$3,000 is a reasonable price to ask for a high mileage '86 944 Turbo. It sounds like a daily driver but without the maintenace records, you should have a pre-purchase inspection done by a reputable Porsche mechanic in the area (est. $150 out of pocket).

You'll have to allocate $$ for near-future maintenance/repair. With 150,000 miles, it may need maintenance on a number of things like Turbo rebuild, gaskets replacement, etc..

If you are concerned about $$, I would recommend finding a high mileage car but with records.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-02-2002 | 12:55 AM
kellyk
Instructor

You will probably have more potential problems with things like the steering rack, bushings, motor mounts, shocks than motor and drive train items. The 951 motor is pretty bulletproof and with regular maintenance you can get 200k from this motor easily. Unfortunately, the 951 is expensive to repair. Even though it is only a $3,000 car to you remember that many of the parts and systems were state of the art for 1986. It is still more technologically advanced (exotic) than a lot of $35k production cars today. Technology never comes cheap and that will equate to larger repair bills. Remember that the 951 was one of the highest performance production vehicles built during its time. It would run away from Ferrari's and 911's costing thousands more.
Old 07-10-2002 | 04:16 PM
B Hayes
Intermediate

I did the same thing that you are considering, although I was only a little over an hour drive from picking up my 86 951. The price sounds good. I purchased mine with 186,000 miles and figured there would be some $$ needed for basic items. It now has 203,00 miles and is running well. With no service records, I will agree with the others and the pre-purchase inspection route.

I did spend some money to freshen up the cylinder head, water pump, thermostat and cooling hoses. This was done in my garage with the help of a friend. If you dont have the money to spend on repairs from your local Porsche mechanic, you should have some wrenching skills and patience or it can be expensive. I am not a mechanic, but I am willing to tackle even the worst repair jobs.... with exception to the clutch!

Quick Reply: '86 951