Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

fuel pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002 | 05:31 PM
tom944T
Rennlist Member

Post fuel pump removal

i have an 1987 944T, I am replacing the fuel pump, hoping to fix a fuel starvation problem.
i have the small part of the fuel pump cover off. Do you have to remove both pieces of the cover, looks like it? I have also read some of the discussions of the rubber cover on the pump itself. all I can see is a hose leading to the pump and something else. Looks like two small clamps holding the hose on the pump and something else. What is the something else? Does someone have instructions or have you done this? Hate to screw something up, track event this weekend.
Thanks
Tom
Old 09-17-2002 | 03:07 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Tom

I'm not sure what you mean by the "small part of the fuel pump cover". I'm presuming that you are referring to the black plastic cover under the fuel tank that is held in place by the metal strap that runs around the fuel tank.

To replace the fuel pump here's what I recommend:

1. Remove metal strap that runs under the fuel tank. This is held on with one bold.

2. Use a Dremel tool to cut the existing hose clamp that runs around the fuel pump through the black plastic cover under the fuel tank (you can replace this later... besides yours is probably corroded so bad that it's useless).

3. Now you can expose your fuel pump by dropping the black plastic cover.

4. Choice: 1) Clamp the line feeding the fuel pump or 2) disconnect the fuel line coming from the fuel filter. The easy way is to take a pair of needle nose pliers and clamp the fuel line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump. Take a couple of tie-wraps and use them to clamp the needle nose pliers such that the needle nose pliers will maintain a clamp on the fuel line (you can get several variants of vice-grips the can do the same job). This will keep the fuel from running all over you when you disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump.

5. Now that your fuel line is blocked off, you can simply unbolt the lines at each side of the fuel pump. At this time disconnect the electrical connections at the fuel pump. Don't worry about the orientation of the electrical connections becuase each electrical connector is a different physical size such that when reconnecting you cannot connect backwards.

6. Now you'll have your fuel pump in your hand. The stock fuel pump has a thick foam/rubber sleeve around it. You have to cut this off.

7. Use a Dremel tool to cut off this sleeve. I cut around the end of the old fuel pump. You should cut the minimum amount required. Remove the piece you just cut off (should be about 1/2" wide). You'll have to probably cut along the length of the fuel pump as well. This will enable you to slide off the rubber sleeve.

8. Remove rubber sleeve from old fuel pump and slide onto new pump.

9. Now you have a choice...... If you want to use a radiator hose clamp to clamp the fuel pump to the black plastic cover like the stock setup, you'll have to remove the fuel line at the fuel filter. This is due to the fact that you have to assemble the fuel pump with the lines connected and electrical connections, then fasten to the black plastic cover. Then bolt the entire assembly back up to the fuel tank utilizing the metal strap that holds up the fuel pump assembly. Then you simply reconnect the fuel lines.

If you don't want to, or cannot, mess with the fuel lines, you can eliminate the usage of the radiator clamp that secures the fuel pump to the black plastic cover.

In my opinion, there's no need to use this clamp. The job of replacement is made much tougher, further, the whole assembly is held into place by the metal strap that runs around the fuel tank. Once you have the metal strap secured, nothing can move. It's very secure. Then you don't have to touch the rest of the fuel system.

So that's it.

Get a Dremel tool setup, something to clamp the fuel lines, and you're ready to go.

The job shouldn't take more than one hour the first time around if you have the tools specifiecd above.

Good luck,

TonyG
Old 09-27-2002 | 02:32 PM
tom944T
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Tony G
Thanks for the help.
A couple notes however.
Its far easier to empty the fuel tank into gas cans than to try and pinch off the line. I couldn't find anything to stop the fuel from coming out. Also no need to cut the rubber sleeve off the fuel pump. i soaked it in warm water for 10-15 minutes and with two screw drivers(similar to taking a bicycle tire off the rim)pryed it out of the rubber sleeve. Getting the other one on was another story. I purchased a Lindsey Racing high volume fuel pump and its slightly larger. Managed to force it into the sleeve after quite a bit of finess. Car is getting plenty of fuel now. Now its a rocketship again.
By the way that clamp holding the fuel pump to the cover, what is that about? What a waste.
didn't use.
Thanks again
Tom

Quick Reply: fuel pump removal