New belts, now no boost...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 02:13 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New belts, now no boost...

I just had my timing belt/rollers changed and immediately upon getting the car back from the shop noticed that it is no longer reaching as high a boost figure as it used to. I know the factory gauge is inaccurate, but I'm definitely down on power.

In 2nd gear, the highest boost I am seeing is 1.4 indicated. 3rd seems to go a wee bit higher but not much.

I inspected the 'repair' the mechanic made near one of the intercooler lines but don't see anything obvious.

Is there anything 'easy' I can look at first or should I just go through the whole system looking for boost leaks?

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aw that sucks! You should definitely send cousins Guideo & Luigi down to have a talk with this 'mechanic'. Sounds like some of your hose-clamps for the intake plumbing is probably lose. Start at the turbo-outlet and check all the hoses & hose-clamps.

Also make sure the 'mechanic' didn't install option-code A111 in your car:

Old 09-21-2002, 04:47 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I guess I should have been happy with 1.4 bar...

I am not producing boost at all. I can hear the turbo spinning but no boost.

I checked the hoses as best I could but my tools are in California and I'm not. I'd rather not go back to the mechanic as his over the phone 'troubleshooting' has me concerned.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2002, 05:18 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I inspected the 'repair' the mechanic made near one of the intercooler lines but don't see anything obvious. "

What's the 'repair' that he did? ALso feel all around the big hose that leads out of the turbo. I've had those split on the back side and leak everything out. You can't even see it and it would only open up under boost.

Quick Reply: New belts, now no boost...