Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo S wheel refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 05:26 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Turbo S wheel refinishing

Has anyone ever seen an original Turbo S wheel in as new condition? I just picked up an 89 Turbo and the wheels have been neglected. There is no clear coat or paint on them anymore. They are bare metal. In order to refinish I need to know if they were painted, like phone dials and Design 90 wheels, or should they be lightly polished to a soft luster and clear coated? Or just polished and waxed?

Anyone know? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:31 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
They aren't painted or clear coated. From the factory, they were anodized. Recently my TS wheels were etched by the dealer and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I don't know of anyone who would anodize them like they were, so the option is either paint, powdercoat, or get them polished to be very shiny. I will probably either sell them as track wheels and get 17's or have them polished. If I polish, I am gonna send them to wheel wizard in atlanta. you may want to drop by there and discuss options with them, they seem nice. I dealt with their branch in greenville, sc when first discussion options and they were great. good luck. Only clean them with soap and water, or maybe something gentle like griot's wheel cleaner or p21s. you can search under this or the main board for the post "anyone want to see..." and there are some pics of how bad they look. I need to make a move before the dealer forgets that he owes me. good luck,

Jason
Old 09-13-2002, 08:46 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Here are my wheels (red car),
They are polished and have the inside painted black. I have used "Blue Magic" cleaner to clean them. Works nice just takes time.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:44 PM
RedS2
Intermediate

I have a really gorgeous set in boxes that Weidman's Wheels in Oroville, CA re-did, including centercaps.

RedS2

90 red S2
90 black S2
88 white Turbo S
Old 09-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

Wheel Enhancment can re-anodize them to look like new but it's expensive something like $275 a wheel.

Mine were pretty beat so I used corrosive cleaner on them to get all of the welded on brake dust bits off and get them clean but dull. Then I rubbed vasoline (which is recommended by Porsche) on them. They look nice with slight lustre. The vasoline doesn't really come off very easily.

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 09-13-2002, 11:06 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set of original forged club sports refinished by wheel enhancement done by the PO. They are beautiful, and they were pricey... The receipt shows 2625.00 including a set of R1s. Figure approximately 625 for the R1s...
Old 09-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Wheel Enhancment can re-anodize them to look like new but it's expensive something like $275 a wheel. "

Yikes!!! I'll do them for $200 each ! Only in intense violet though....
Old 09-13-2002, 11:45 PM
RedS2
Intermediate

Weidman did just an excellent job for $200 per wheel including rash repair and a straightening job along with anodizing. They look just excellent. Harvey is the best in California.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:54 PM
Mike S.
Pro

I've also seen Al Reed's name mentioned frequently on Rennlist as an expert refinisher. IIRC, he's in CA.

The faces of mine are decent, but the ID has a lot of embedded brake dust fused into the pores like Brian's. I hope to refinish them this winter. I plan to (chemically) strip off the anodizing, polish them (mechanically and by hand), and have them hard anodized. There was a great link on a post about a year ago on anodizing. It was primarily a DIY write up but pointed out the differance in hard vs. regular anodizing.

And picking up on what Danno mentioned, this is your big chance to make a fashion statement...how about periwinkle???

Mike

Quick Reply: Turbo S wheel refinishing