Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Loud clicking coming from rear of car when clutch is engaged

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 PM
NVRL8
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking coming from rear of car when clutch is engaged

I searched the forum to see if anyone else had a similar problem but only found topics involving the CV Joints going out and nothing about this sound while the car is just sitting still.
I am having a really loud clicking sound from the back of my 86 944 Turbo when the clutch is engaged, the sound goes away when the clutch is dis-engaged. I'm thinking possible throwout bearing is gone or about to go completely but I am unsure as I am a bit unfamiliar with the drivetrain setup on these cars (engine in front with trans in rear).
I have a video of the car at idle sitting in my driveway with the clutch engaged below. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGvsA7MRDiw
Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car in neutral? It may be the rear bearing in the TT. Mine does that but not THAT load.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was thinking TT bearings as well, just because that's about the only thing moving besides the input shaft of the transmission. Since you said you weren't that familiar with the setup, TT= Torque Tube, it's what sits between the back of the engine and the transmission. There are 3 or 4 bearings in that tube that support the driveshaft.

How many miles are on the car?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 AM
NVRL8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrly924s
Is the car in neutral? It may be the rear bearing in the TT. Mine does that but not THAT load.
yes, car is in neutral in the vid.
Originally Posted by Scott H
I was thinking TT bearings as well, just because that's about the only thing moving besides the input shaft of the transmission. Since you said you weren't that familiar with the setup, TT= Torque Tube, it's what sits between the back of the engine and the transmission. There are 3 or 4 bearings in that tube that support the driveshaft.

How many miles are on the car?
136k on chassis, engine has about 92k on it, unknown if any trans or clutch work was done when the motor was replaced, it was replaced 2 owners before me and all I have is a receipt of the engine and labor from him.

To replace these bearings, I assume I just unbolt CV axles, drop trans, unbolt torque tube and press them out? Or would this require a replacement of the entire torque tube assembly?
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has 200k on it. I maintain a friends very nice 86 Pearl white W/63K & it clicks. Check out Clark's Garage for procedure to remove TT. You have to drop rear suspension to get it out. Replacing bearings is not hard or expensive if the bearing carriers are in good shape. You can make the tool to remove /install from allthread rod @Home Depot for about $15.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
NVRL8
Rennlist Member

Ahh, well thank you! From what I've gathered, these bearings are of the same size and will work for replacement? http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=3441701
Unless you can recommend something better that isn't the "Constantine's Torque Tube Bearings" as those are a bit far out of my ideal budget on replacing the torque tube bearings considering the car I have has very basic mods that would make those complete overkill.
Oddly enough I actually look forward to tearing into this project as this is the first major work i'll have had to do to it
Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just hope that the carriers those bearings ride in are still in one piece. Some have to get another TT and pilfer parts from it to make one good TT.

Quick Reply: Loud clicking coming from rear of car when clutch is engaged